Adjusting for Dry Hopping in Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny5

Reaction score
Howdy,

Everyone has always been so helpful here, I thought I'd throw out another question for discussion/input.

Last weekend, my buddy and I brewed an all-grain, Brooklyner/Schneider Hopfen-weisse clone we're very excited about. Everything went well except we had a brain lapse and dry hopped pellets in our primary (been awhile since we dry hopped and forgot you're supposed to wait until secondary).

I know the aroma could be reduced by dry hopping in primary, so should we: add another round of dry hopping in secondary or adjust our secondary rack schedule at all because of the hops in primary? Also, I'm corny kegging this brew and wondered if it was OK to secondary rack it into the keg instead of a carboy -- with or without adding another round the dry hopping. I hear you can get grassy flavors if you leave the hops in too long and if it is OK to secondary in the corny, when should I refrigerate it and add CO2?

Thanks!

Firestone Walker dry hops some of their beers in the last 1/4 of primary fermentation then racks off it 3-5 days later. I wouldn't worry too much

I have dry hopped Green Flash West Coast IPA for 7 days and Pliny for 10 days and it's fine. You'll lose aroma from dry hopping if you add them too early. Last 1/4 of fermentation as mentioned above sounds good. I actually heard that the last part of fermentation actually helps get some of the aroma out of the dry hop without driving it away...just gotta remember where I heard that.

Thanks for the replies. Appreciate it.

What about doing secondary in a corny keg? Any thoughts on that?

Back