Books to read before starting my first batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Online you can read the free old version of How To Brew/ John Palmer. Many other books and websites, but Palmer gives a pretty detailed account of what's going on. Some things have changed but it is worth the read. Then buy the book if you want to have a good reference.

I understand that the online version of How to Brew is not very up to date and there are several items that have been updated in the latest print version. You are better off ponying up and buying the new version of How to Brew from your LHBS.

The Complete Joy of Homebrewing Third Edition (Harperresource Book) by Charles Papazian is also a good choice for a beginner.

Some reading is a must but the reading will be more meaningful if you can observe someone with experience brewing as he does it. Best way to do this is join a club. They usually have something in place for new people i.e. classes, demonstrations group brews etc.

Back