RIS Split batch between carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellecitybrewer

Reaction score
I am about to brew a 1.120ish Russian Imperial Stout. I read about people splitting a 5 gallon batch between 2 carboys due to the HUGE amount of krausen. I figured this would work awesome because i don't want to lose a lot of liquid through the blowoff tube. I'm also planning on aging in the primary for around a month to make sure it reaches proper attenuation. I'm kind of leery about tying up both of my primaries for that long. Any thought on how I should work this?

I'm kind of leery about tying up both of my primaries for that long. Any thought on how I should work this?

With a beer like this, you've got to commit! If you give it a good 3 weeks in the primary, that's all most of these really need. Transfer to a secondary to bulk age afterwards.

Other thoughts: huge kräusen has more to do with yeast than gravity, in my experience. Choose the right yeast and you probably won't have too much trouble. Or, split it anyway and use two different yeasts. I love doing split batches like this, as it gives me a good chance to compare yeast strains.

Back