lager yeast in primary, ale in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmypop13

Reaction score
I just brewed a lager with a starting gravity of 1.064 yesterday. I used a pack of 2035 in a 4 liter starter so that equals almost 3 packs I think. Well I just found out about the Mr. Malty calculator today and it's showing I should have made a starter that would equal 4.5 packs. How bad could this be? It was already bubbling pretty good this morning at 50*.
I really want a dry beer out of this so if when primary fermentation is done, the final gravity isn't low enough, I'm considering adding Nottingham to the seconday and raising the temp to high 50s and hopefully it will dry the beer out more since Nottingham is so good at drying beers out. And then transfer again and lager in the low 30s.
Good idea? Or not worth it? Could the notty screw up the flavor or just add to it?

i doubt if the attenuation will be adversely affected. sounds like you underpitched a little, and might get more diacetyl or ester or fusel production from the yeast, but i would think it will still attenuate how it's supposed to. did you decant that starter or just dump it all in? i'd say if it's chugging along, don't mess with it. let it go for 10-14 days and see if activity is slowing down and then bump the temp up to like 60-65 for another few days for a diacetyl rest. do a gravity reading around then too and see where you're at. i doubt you'll need notty for it.

Cool thanks. Yeah I decanted all the liquid out of the starter. It sat at 33* for a week so i got all the liquid out easy. Didnt look like i lost any yeast

Back