2 days in no activity!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mximus11

Reaction score
I brewed Tuesday afternoon and it is now Thursday evening. There is no fermentation activity and the O.G. Is still the same 1.052. Should I repitch now or wait another day?

It should be fine. Airlocks don't indicate fermentation. It is likely just stalled. As long as the yeast you used wasn't old, or put in at too high of a temperature then there isn't much of a reason for it to be dead.

You should give it another day or two. Do you have any reason to suspect your process? If you did something like pitch the yeast with the wort over 90 degrees, or if the yeast is past it's expiration date, or your wort temp is currently below 60 or something like that you may have an issue, but other than that, sometimes it can take 3-4 days if conditions weren't ideal.

Thanks guys. Will check back in a couple days to let you know how it goes. By the way everything was sanitary and all conditions are ideal.

RDWHAHB. and wait. A buddy and I did two batches Sunday and the fermentation just started wed. after i gave both a swirl. Most of the year we fight the heat down here but now I'm trying to curl up with them under the blankets. Shouldve done a lager brrr. I actually have ale yeast fermenting at 40F. I think I'll join you on that HB

If your fermenter is at 40F then that is likely the culprit. Most ale yeasts like 60-68F. I wouldn't keep it below 60F. Check the manufacturer's recommendations for the temp range. Anything lower then the minimum and the yeast will go dormant and won't be working.

Yea you should raise your ferm temps. Even higher than recommended will hopefully jump start those guys and get em rollin. Ive a 4 day lag time before and I couldnt figure out a good reason. Sometimes it just happens I guess.

People will tell you not to panic. However, the best method to start fermentation is to ceremonially sacrifice your children. Start with the oldest and a nice sharp sword. If you have no success with that, then work down the age group with progressively blunter and more rusty instruments.

Or you could try patience. ;)

I agree with LGI, sacrificing of the kids is what usually helps.

Ive had a batch that took almost a week to show signs of fermentation once. I think it was a bit too cold and it decided to get stuck. Brought the temp up a little and viola!

Everyone's getting mixed up. OP didn't say fermentation was at 40ºF.

I would say if you don't have activity by now, you need to pitch more yeast. The longest I've ever got without activity was three full days. I have one that went almost five, then I pitched more. The yeast was expired and had had a weird smell (I know, but not like normal yeast weird lol) when I made the starter, so I was already suspicious. I think 100 hours is about the longest you can comfortably wait.

Considering I have already lost a child... I may take a different route. My wife has a cat I don't like, that could work. Maybe some sort of rain dance.

( and sorry for adding the first part. I just didn't want any more of the Sacrificing talk to continue ) Thank you guys for the advice.

Considering I have already lost a child... I may take a different route. My wife has a cat I don't like, that could work. Maybe some sort of rain dance.

( and sorry for adding the first part. I just didn't want any more of the Sacrificing talk to continue ) Thank you guys for the advice.

Sorry for your loss and my accidental insensitivity. I hope the brew works out for ya. :)

Hey Im not here for sympathy. I wasn't really angered by it, I just thought I would stop the comments before they got out of hand. Besides how were you supposed to know? No worries. I hope the brew works out as well!

By the way... Fermentation is moving along beautifully after repitching yeast. I repitched and about a day later I heard *BLOOP BLOOP* coming from the blowoff tube. YAY! Go Yeasties!

Back