White Labs German Lager Yeast Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muneio

Reaction score
So I'm about ready to brew a Biere de Garde mini mash kit I got from More Beer with the recommended White Labs German lager yeast #WLP830. I noticed that the instructions call for a suggested fermentation temp of 68°F but the White Labs site calls for Optimum Fermentation Temperature of 50-55°F.
I know it's a Lager yeast that is being used in an Ale and therefore the temp is higher but what would happen if I fermented it a little cooler like 60-65°F? I really want to use my new "Son of a fermentation chiller" :D also that way I can keep the temp consistent.

Thanks for your input
Bill

Its probably the wrong label on it... I usually pitch 830 at about 48F and let it rise to about 52-54F and let it ferment out there.

As far as I know beersmith does not calculate a ferm temp... 68 is the default for every recipe I create and I manually change it to match the fermentation profile I want.

Latest posts

Back