Is my beer infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sreidy12

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I brewed my pumpkin ale a week ago and tonight I drew off a sample for a gravity reading and taste test. The gravity was down from 58 to 24, but when I tasted it my lips just about puckered. It had a definite sour apple character to it, but I didn't use any apple! I can't think of any time during brewing that my sanitation was even questionable let alone reckless. Do you guys think it is spoiled or could this just be part of the fermentation? Thanks for the help, as I am fairly noobish :(

"Sour apple" sounds like acetaldehyde. It's the flavor of green apples, and it's very common in young beers. Most young beers will have that flavor to a degree, until they are conditioned.

I hope so because it was overpowering, so much so that I could hardly taste any pumpkin. I wasn't sure if it was normal or not, but that's slightly reassuring. I'm planning on conditioning it until mid-november. Do you think the acetyldehyde will be cleaned up by the yeast by the time primary fermentation is over? Or could it take longer?

Back