Hydrometer for small batch brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
if you brew small batches, pulling a sample and tossing it can quickly leave you looking at a sad empty fermenter.

ive been meaning to post this and always forgot, but its been a blessing for me

cole parmer product EW-08298-60

its a 1.00 to 1.070 hydrometer, and at only 6.5 inches its much easier to fit in a small amount of sample. granted it only goes to 1.070, but thats typically enough for me. if i want to go higher, i measure my grain-based gravity and then just calculate the additional points from sugar, dextrose, etc.

not cheap, but makes life much easier when you're doing small batches. also fits right into my wine thief.

enjoy.

I don't use them for beer, but I have hydrometers at work that are only 4" long and about 1/2" dia. We have the matching tiny 50ml beakers to match.

Why are you tossing the samples away? I used to drink mine to get an idea of where the flavor is going and how it is developing. Great learning tool. These days I just wait two weeks for ales, three for lagers, before taking a couple of drops and reading on my refractometer.

You do need to know your OG and use an online calculator to determine SG or FG with a refractometer. And yes, it is easier and takes way less beer, without disturbing the headspace too much. I use a long stemmed thermometer to pull out the drop. In a bucket, through the airlock hole.

im mostly thinking of commercial settings when i wrote about tossing, at the brewery we toss the sample, no use trying to put one pint back into a 15bbl batch. as for guys who do 5 or 10 or 20 gal batches, i assume they drink or toss sample. even to those guys 1 pint is nothing to sweat. in a 1 gallon batch, i have to return sample to fermenter.

refractometer is fine for OG, but ive never seen a pro brewer who used one for FG. everybody seems to just use hydrometer for final. obviously you can use refractometer for FG, and then do the math. but the simplest solutions are typically the best. and in this case, i'd venture its also the most accurate and reliable as well. less room for error.

I put my OG sample back in the FV (Oh, the horror!) and drink the FG sample. I make 2 to 2-1/2 gallon batches, so I understand.

i just make sure everything is sanitized and then put my sample back in my fermentor.. OH THE HORROR!!! haven't had a problem yet.... and i mostly brew 1 gallon batches

if you brew small batches, pulling a sample and tossing it can quickly leave you looking at a sad empty fermenter.

ive been meaning to post this and always forgot, but its been a blessing for me

cole parmer product EW-08298-60

its a 1.00 to 1.070 hydrometer, and at only 6.5 inches its much easier to fit in a small amount of sample. granted it only goes to 1.070, but thats typically enough for me. if i want to go higher, i measure my grain-based gravity and then just calculate the additional points from sugar, dextrose, etc.

not cheap, but makes life much easier when you're doing small batches. also fits right into my wine thief.

enjoy.

http://www.brewchatter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=61_63_64&products_id=319
take a reading and put it right back into your fermenting batch. Nothing unsanitary about it. I believe these guys might have a smaller one too for your smaller hydrometer but maybe I'm thinking of an autosiphon.

For the record I toss samples back into fermenter if I dint drink them. Unless I get distracted and leave it out all day/night.

The shorty hydrometer is nice as it doesn't need a 12" deep container to get a reading like a full size unit. It's short enough to give you an FG reading in a 1 gal jug. Just make sure you can get it back out.

The Brewing America Hydrometer kit comes with a narrow borosilicate glass sample jar that takes about half the wort of a normal sample jar!

Not only is it less waste if you discard or drink it, but if you choose to return your sample to the fermenter, glass is easier to sanitize than plastic.

Yes... it costs a little more! (It also has triple scales: Brix, potential alcohol, and specific gravity)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001X27L9W/

If I’m doing a 1 or 3 gallon batch of mead, I stick the hydrometer in the carboy for my readings.

If I’m doing a 3 gallon batch of beer I pull the sample and use my hydrometer sleeve thing then throw back into fv.
For fg samples I usually drink them.

I will say that as the days wear on I’m getting more tempted by the tilt. When it first came out, I thought it was just another piece of unnecessary and expensive piece of equipment.
Now, my willpower is weakening. Also I do 3 and 5 gallon batches of beer in Anvil stainless so that’s kinda justification, right?

Brewing America Hydrometer kit
When you used it, how much beer did it need?

From the instrucdtions, it looks like it needs 125ml (4.5 oz). I have a "Final Gravity Hydrometer" is roughly 2/3 the cost and needs only 3 oz.

tempted by the tilt.
Probably doesn't fit in a one gallon carboy (links available upon request), but for those doing small batches in wide mouth fermentors (and extra hobby money), it certainly is tempting.

For those looking for an "engineering" project, iSpindel looks interesting. There are a couple of topics here at HBT on it (links available upon request)

Back