Corona mill + computer fan + duct = husk removal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o4_srt

Reaction score
I currently have a corona mill I use for cracking my grain, however, there seems to be quite a bit of shredded husk.

Since the husk weighs significantly less than the grain itself, I was thinking I could use a 12v computer fan (120mm), and make a duct system out of cardboard and duct tape or something. The crushed grain would fall through the duct, while the fan blows air through it (duct being perpendicular to grain from mill).

The fan would blow the husk out the other side of the duct, into a bag or other collection mechanism, leaving the grain to fall into a collection bucket.

How much would this improve the quality of my beer? Obviously, if it worked, there would be less astringency, but would it have any other effects?

I do beer-in-a-bag mashes on the stove top, as I usually only make enough for a six pack or so at a time, so I am not really worried about stuck sparges and such, just trying to improve the flavor of the beer.

Thoughts?

I feel like it would remove a lot of the flour as well, which (especially with the flour production capabilities of a corona mill), might hose your efficiency per pound of grain...

Also, even with BIABing, don't you want husks to help it drain? Otherwise you get oatmeal...

Seconded.

Astringency is a result of pH issues, or over sparging.

I thought that astrigency was the result of too high a mash temp. I could be confused though.

Anyways, a lot of starch is still stuck inside the grain husk even after it is broken open. I think what you want to do would destroy your efficiency.

spray your grain to the order of 1oz of water to 5lbs of grain... then mill. it should help reduce your dust and it will preserver your husks.

I don't seen how it would help. Plus, like others said, you will loose most of the flour too. Do you plan to add the husks back in? If not you would have a monumental stuck sparge.

Boys and Girls, he is BIABing, there is no actual sparge. I still think it's not a good idea, but this is kind of straying from the issue....

Boys and Girls, he is BIABing, there is no actual sparge. I still think it's not a good idea, but this is kind of straying from the issue....

thanks, I was about to say the same thing.

Everything I've read, from papazian to palmer to jansen to homebrewing for dummies states that astringency can be caused by tannins from the grain husks, specifically if husks end up in the wort.

Since I am using a corona mill, which tends to shred the husks, I was afraid of husk particles making their way into the wort.

If I could find it again, I would cite a thread on here about a user whom entered several beers into different competitions, and all beers were said to have varying amounts of astringency (grain milled with a corona). When said user stopped using the corona, and bought premilled grain, astringency comments stopped.

If there are no other uses of the husks other than lautering purposes, this might be an experiment to perform some day, side by side comparison of husk removed vs husk remaining.

In the mean time, I think i'll start malt conditioning, seems like an easier way to keep the husk in-tact than building a duct system around my mill.

Thanks for the help!

thanks, I was about to say the same thing.

Everything I've read, from papazian to palmer to jansen to homebrewing for dummies states that astringency can be caused by tannins from the grain husks, specifically if husks end up in the wort.

Since I am using a corona mill, which tends to shred the husks, I was afraid of husk particles making their way into the wort.

If I could find it again, I would cite a thread on here about a user whom entered several beers into different competitions, and all beers were said to have varying amounts of astringency (grain milled with a corona). When said user stopped using the corona, and bought premilled grain, astringency comments stopped.

If there are no other uses of the husks other than lautering purposes, this might be an experiment to perform some day, side by side comparison of husk removed vs husk remaining.

In the mean time, I think i'll start malt conditioning, seems like an easier way to keep the husk in-tact than building a duct system around my mill.

Thanks for the help!

Astringency can be a result of many things. Shredded husks isn't one of them.

"The analogy to a tea bag is a good one in that if the grain is left in for too long (hours), astringent tannin compounds (a.k.a. phenols) can be extracted from the grain husks" (Palmer, 2006, 13.2)

"Major sources of astringency include boiled grain husks, fruit skins, excessive hopping, or wort trub. Astringency results from polyphenols, also called tannins because they were and are often used to tan animal hides"...." Tannins are usually found in the outer layers of the grain kernel, particularly the husk. Their extraction from grain husks results from overzealous crushing of the grain kernels, overly alkaline mashes or sparge water, or excessive amounts of sparge water. Similarly, boiling specialty grains will release tannins into the wort." (Jansen, 1996, p. 61)

"Contemporary research into phenol oxidation focuses on staling and haze properties of the reaction products rather than the color contribution they make." (Daniels, 2000, p. 53)

Sources:

Palmer, John J. (2006). How to Brew. Boulder, CO: Brewer's Publications.

Janson, Lee W PhD. (1996). Brew Chem 101: The Basics of Homebrewing Chemistry. North Adams, MA: Storey Publishing.

Daniels, Ray. (2000). Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles. Boulder, CO: Brewer's Publications.

see also: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Malt_Conditioning

Like I have stated before, the corona grinds, not crushes, causing shredded husks. Shredded husks, especially the ones that do make it out of the mash bag, are, indeed (as I have proved above) a significant source of astringency, as well as darkening of overall color.

If there is still confusion of whether husks cause astringency, we can talk about it offline (PM me), I have a few more sources that I would be more than happy to cite.

I understand that a PH that is too alkaline will further contribute, but don't you think that the increased surface area of the SHREDDED husks (as opposed to the intact husk) would also contribute? Isn't that part of the reason for malt conditioning? To keep the husks more intact, not only for increased filtering capability, but also to reduce off-flavors?

Increased filtration is not the only reason an ideal grind keeps a majority of husks intact.

Back