Stuff You Should Know podcast Beer episode

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cracked1

Reaction score
I have a job where I sit in a cubicle all day but I am able to listen to podcasts while I work. One such podcast that helps me keep at least a little sane is Stuff You Should Know from How Stuff Works. Yesterday's episode was "How Beer Works". While some of the information may have been slightly off I think they did a fine job of discussing beer and brewing in the short amount of time they are allowed.

If you haven't listened to their podcast, I recommend you give it a try. They've covered some pretty interesting topics over the years.

Great! I've been hoping they'd do a beer podcast someday. Those guys are awesome, and you never know what the next topic will be.
I also listen to Stuff You Missed in History Class.

Well, their coverage of the topic seemed like it was perfectly representative of all their shows -- a cursory, but interesting, shallow overview of the subject where not all the details are accurate. Of course, you don't have to be a pedantic prick about it, I tell myself, they're not pretending to be experts and it's more about the friendly personalities and breadth, not width [edit: meant depth], of information.

Connoting that malts are sugary before they're mashed misses much of the magic of the brewing process, though. That was unfortunate.

Well, their coverage of the topic seemed like it was perfectly representative of all their shows -- a cursory, but interesting, shallow overview of the subject where not all the details are accurate. Of course, you don't have to be a pedantic prick about it, I tell myself, they're not pretending to be experts and it's more about the friendly personalities and breadth, not width, of information.

Connoting that malts are sugary before they're mashed misses much of the magic of the brewing process, though. That was unfortunate.

Yup. Pretty much sums up my thoughts. Also the part where they said that the different types of beer were because of different hop amounts made me cringe a little. But, like I said, given their time restrictions and the need to keep the Average Joe entertained, I think they did pretty good.

Back