Keg Noob Inquiry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyVegas

Reaction score
So, I've made 2 batches of homebrew and think bottling is great, but kegging has to be better.

So, that being said, I've done some beginners research on the subject and just wanted to run my initial thoughts through the experts... My friend can get me a 5gal keg system pretty reasonably priced, so i'm evaluating its merits.

I have a relatively small space to work with, but, I managed to fit a bar area in here. Score.

Now, if I wanted to say, brew my beer normally, and either take it from primary or secondary right to keg, we're good to go.

Now the keg... full of delicious beer... does it need to be at a certain temperature? I know consistent temp is king, and I think I can do that, but to keep it continually cold may be a challenge. So I'm thinking of adapting an old keg trick... of running a quick disconnect to the keg, attaching the line when I want to drink, running approx 50ft. of line through a iced up cooler to chill whatever beer is in the line down, and pour accordingly from the end of this 50ft. beer chilling system. I know I'm not the first to think of this, but I wanted some peoples thoughts on this idea. Would it kill my beer? Affect taste?
If anything, I would think having the beer at a constant room temp in the keg would be good for it, and making it cold at the time of pour, makes sense. I'm sure in about 3 posts I'll be corrected on this.

Thanks!

I use a coldplate (which is kind of like what you are building with all that hose) that i put inside of a bucket of water in a mini-fridge. It does work well, but I think your approach may have issues.

1. Depending on what kind of hose you use it may not hold out all of the oxygen.
2. Unless you plan on always keeping ice on it, there will be temp changes on the beer in the lines. Do not underestimate the amount of beer in the lines. Just one line of my coldplate holds about 12oz of beer.

But you are correct that carbonating and storing your beer at room temp works very well. I would suggest buying a coldplate on eBay instead of the hoses.

I can't help but mention that my dream is to build a keezer and put a giant tub of water in it. Then put 2 or 3 eight tap coldplates in the tub of water. I of course would have to build a huge shelf next to it to hold all of the kegs.

I only own 8 kegs at present so it is only a dream.

Back