Rauchbier: Schlenkerla, here I come!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jebu1788

Reaction score
Just put in an order for a bunch of beech wood smoked malt. What do you think of this:

5 gallons
OG: 1.065 (70%)
IBUs: 28ish
SRM: 17

11 lbs Rauchmalt
1 lbs CaraMunich (56L)
.5 lbs CaraPils
.25 lbs Carafa I

60min- Spalt to about 28 IBUs

WLP 029 (because I can't do lagers...)

Yes. I do want to have it taste like I'm drinking a campfire. Not trying to clone any Schlenkerla either, but after having their oak-smoke and their Urbock, I knew I had to try to make a homebrew in that fashion!

You won't be disappointed. I've got a recipe in my drop-down inspired by Schlenkerla's Marzen. What i'm "concerned" most about your recipe is the ale yeast. Let us know how it turns out, as i'm curious how a non-lager yeast will affect the taste. I wouldn't be surprised if you can't even tell the difference, due to the huge smokey flavor & aroma.

You won't be disappointed. I've got a recipe in my drop-down inspired by Schlenkerla's Marzen. What i'm "concerned" most about your recipe is the ale yeast. Let us know how it turns out, as i'm curious how a non-lager yeast will affect the taste. I wouldn't be surprised if you can't even tell the difference, due to the huge smokey flavor & aroma.

I was hesitant about the ale yeast for a little bit myself, but I should be able to ferment on the lower range of the recommended temps, and won't bottle for at least a month, maybe more. I've used WLP 029 once before, and it was pretty clean.

Well grains and hops came today. I have a question for some advice though. The Spalt hops I was expecting to be between 4 and 5% AA, but in fact they are 3%. So even with the 2oz I have, they wouldn't even bitter it up to 20 IBUs. I have about half an ounce of Magnum that I've had since November (bagged and taped sealed) in my freezer. If I add .25oz of that along with the 2oz Spalt at 60 to get to 28 IBUs do you think that would work, or should I avoid the old hops and and get another ounce of Spalt from my LHBS?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

The magnum would work fine. Careful, I'm assuming it's high AA.

I've made rauch ales and lagers. The lagers are definately better. Both are good. I'd mash low to try to keep the body medium-low. Good luck. If you like the smoke, you will be happy.

It's surprising how many people hate this style.

Next time you make one of these, try some of the Briess Cherrywood smoked malt. Very different (sweet bacony aroma).

Yeah, it's 12.3%, so only .25oz (and keep it under 29 ibus tops). I was concerned about it being so old.

I would love to do lagers, but I don't have the temperature control, or with a few exceptions (rauchbier!) the interest to make a lot of lagers, so I don't want to invest into it just yet. I was planning on mashing right at 150.

I saw your recipe "Cherry Beech Smokebeer" and really considered doing half cherry, but the price was a turn off. If this turns out well though, I'll certainly give it a try! Thanks.

I was hesitant about the ale yeast for a little bit myself, but I should be able to ferment on the lower range of the recommended temps, and won't bottle for at least a month, maybe more. I've used WLP 029 once before, and it was pretty clean.

Anyone try using Wyeast 1450 Dennys Favorite yeast with this style? It's the only recommended ale yeast for Classic Rauchbier on Wyeast's website. A local brewpub owner gave me a half bag of Bamberg Smoke Malt and I was going to brew up a Rauchbier using mostly all smoke malt with a little Caramunich II and maybe a touch of dark roasted malt. I also happen to have a smack pack of 1450 in the fridge so I'm going to give it a try.

That's it. I am never using a plastic fermenter with a spigot at the bottom again. I got back today from a 5 day trip, only to find it had started leaking while I was gone.

Yep. Lost ALL of it. Solid carboys from now on.

When any of you have a homebrew tonight, take a sip for my lost rauchbier.

Sorry about your loss. :(

grieving.jpg

That's it. I am never using a plastic fermenter with a spigot at the bottom again. I got back today from a 5 day trip, only to find it had started leaking while I was gone.

Yep. Lost ALL of it. Solid carboys from now on.

When any of you have a homebrew tonight, take a sip for my lost rauchbier.

Anyone try using Wyeast 1450 Dennys Favorite yeast with this style? It's the only recommended ale yeast for Classic Rauchbier on Wyeast's website.

Hey - how did this come out? I love a good Rauchbier. Last one I made, I used WLP820 Octoberfest/Marzen Lager yeast. I'm thinking Denny's 1450 would be great, and quicker!

Hey - how did this come out? I love a good Rauchbier. Last one I made, I used WLP820 Octoberfest/Marzen Lager yeast. I'm thinking Denny's 1450 would be great, and quicker!

It turned out pretty well. I have also brewed a Rauchbier with Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager Yeast and prefered the lager yeast over the ale yeast.

It turned out pretty well. I have also brewed a Rauchbier with Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager Yeast and prefered the lager yeast over the ale yeast.

Thanks. I'll be brewing another rauchbier this winter. I'll use either the 1450 or the 870.

Latest posts

Back