CO2 Dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

just2brew

Reaction score
It's sunday and I was planning to fill 2 kegs to force carbonate for a trip next week. I have 2 bottles, a 5# and 15#. The 15# is about to be empty, the 5# has only been used to dispense 2 kegs.

I was planning on bringing the 5# on the trip to dispense the beer and don't want to use it to carbonate for fear of running out of gas next week. I'm not interested in transporting a 15#.

To put an even bigger twist on the situation. The beer that will be put into one of the kegs is in a pot on the stove cooling after I just held at at 175 to reduce the achohol.

I figure I have 2 options:
1. Hope I have just enough in the 15# to seal the NA beer keg then exchange the tank on tuesday, load the other keg that night and force carbonate both kegs with the 15#.

OR

2. Connect the 5# and continue today as planned. Then continue to use the 5# to clean my beer lines and kegs to empty it by thurday so I can exchange the 5# just before the weekend.

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas? Disagreements?

OK, that makes things easier. I have just been keeping the 5# to the side and have only used the 15#. I remember reading somewhere that a 5# was good for 5 kegs but didn't specify if that included force carbing.

well you should be fine, i have use my 5 pound for carbing 6 or 7 kegs, including on keg of rootbeer at 30psi and dispensing at least 3 kegs, cleaning and just some outright loosing some co2 to being a noob at kegging, you should be fine. just use the 15# untill its absolutly gone so you can get it refilled then switch to your 5#. good luck

Back