cheaper DME/LME substitute ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illnastyimpreza

Reaction score
in the past I have been using corn sugar and brown sugar... But I am told that DME and LME are MUCH "more better " :p

BUT at the price of corn sugar compared to DME I'm rather depressed...

is there a GOOD substitute out there that you guys are using ??? I don't want dry beer :mad:

There's really no substitute for extract, whether you get it from DME, LME or your mash tun. Sure a few styles call for a small amount of sugar, but for the most part malt extract = beer.

If you're not ready, willing or able to go AG, try buying your *ME in bulk to save.

I just bought a 3# bag of DME at the store, $15. ($5/pound)

I came home and ordered 55# from northern brewer for $150 (2.72/lb.)

B

Buying bulk DME would be the way to go in that case. It is a heavy hit on the wallet in one shot though.

yeah not sure if I'm ready to take such a big hit... I mean what if I wanna try a recippe that uses a lighter or darkey kind of malt...

You can steep specialty grains for color and flavor, and use light DME for the base. That's what I did for years before going AG and made everything from pale ale s to porters.

You can steep specialty grains for color and flavor, and use light DME for the base. That's what I did for years before going AG and made everything from pale ale s to porters.

really? hhmm I might just have to do that then.

What do you think of buying the DME in bulk and adding specialty grains a such, VS like a coopers kit ?

It will be cheaper in the long run!

Not to mention the joy of tweaking a recipe, or creating one to suit your tastes! I'm still brewing with extracts, steeping, mini-mash, etc and have yet to follow an existing recipe. I haven't been disappointed yet, especially when they age!

It will be cheaper in the long run!
Really...if you're in it for the long run, want the best beer you can brew, and you are looking at long term cost...All Grain can't be beat.
I am the last person....second only to Revvy that would ever bash extract...cause I love it....but All Grain really is the way to go here.

The thing I am wondering is how concerned you are with quality if you're thinking of subbing extract with Corn Sugar.

I think he was following the coopers kit recipe, which calls for large amounts of sugar if I am correct.
You can find some very simple recipes out there that just call for 4-6# DME 1-2 types of specialty grains, and 1 hop addition(as was stated earlier, this will make anything from a pale ale to a stout, depending on which grains you use.). All of that will run you less than $40 for 2 cases of really good beer.

To the OP:

What kind of beer are you looking to brew?

If you are unfamiliar with formulating recipes or the grain-steeping process, try an extract w/ specialty grains kit from your LHBS or one of the many online retailers. I suggest basic ale (mild, pale, amber, red, brown, porter, or stout, or if you like bud/pbr type beers a cream ale) or wheat beer. Morebeer, Northern Brewer, and Austin Homebrew all have good kits (northern brewer even posts their kit recipes). Your LHBS may also carry the "true brue" or "brewers best" kits, these kits in my experience include quality ingredients. I think all the kits listed above are typically for a five gallon batch instead of a 3 gallon batch, and some of them require you to also order yeast (good dry yeasts are affordable though). There are lots of threads on this forum on which kits are best, so search around to learn from other peoples' experience! If you like your results, it's a very easy step to start tweaking recipes to your liking.

If you are concerned about the price of a 5gal batch of real ale, I would recommend finding a recipe for a 5 gallon batch of a style you are interested in (Northern Brewer website or this forum are good places to start), and then stepping it down to 3 gal (multiply the amounts of extract, specialty grains, spices, malto-dextrin, and bittering hops by 0.6, but leave irish moss and aroma hops the same), and then go to your LHBS and buy that stuff there to save on shipping. You should be able to crack your specialty grains in a mill at the LHBS. Don't be suprised if you decide to step back up to 5 gal batches once you taste the difference of using quality ingredients!

Hope this is helpful, sorry for the long post.

Might I suggest calling your local homebrew store and seeing what they can get you the 50-55# bags for? Sure, you can pay $150 online, but the shipping is steep. My local store wanted a $50 premium ($185) on a bag, but the store in the next town ordered it for his cost ($130). I picked up both Light DME and Wheat DME.

It is a steep upfront cost, but worth it if you brew a lot. (If you can't get it through a local brew store, try homebrewheaven.com, they offer a 10% discount on orders over $250...helps offset the shipping costs)

Another intermediate bulk option is to look at Austin Hombrew's individually bagged bulk option for DME...

18 pounds of DME as 6 x 3lb bags for $64 $3.55/lb
or
30 pounds of DME as 6 x 5lb bags for $105 $3.50/lb

Stepping up to 50 lbs gets you to under $3/lb, but its one bag, so you have to protect it from moisture too... that's another advantage of the "case" of smaller bags...

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_21_72_615&products_id=12265

Back