Questions about charcoal filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallagherman

Reaction score
My friends and I brewed our first batch last month and are still awaiting to reap the benefits. After we brewed we talked to someone who has brewed for quite some time. He pointed out that we did not aerate our water that we used to fill up to 5.5 gallons after the partial boil. This of course is bad, because there was chlorine in the wort when we pitched our yeast. My question is; Do charcoal filters, like Brita filters, filter out chlorine in tap water? Also do charcoal filters take out any other chemicals or minerals? We have heard that the tap water we have is great for brewing, it has good minerals in it, so I don't want a Brita filter to take that out. Is a Brita still good to use?

ya you can use a britta but you really still want to boil the top up water if you can just to be safe and kill any funkys the hardest thing about brewing is sanitation. If you keep it clean it will reward you greatly for your efforts
welcome to the forum
JJ

chlorine boils off. it will also gas out overnight, or faster if you use something like an aquarium pump.
chloramine does not boil off or gas off. campden will.

however, my tap water is treated with chloramine, and I have no issues with my beers, neither with fermentation nor off flavors in the finished product.

Back