Waiting too long to rack to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pendragon

Reaction score
I'm on my second batch using the Mountmellick canned extract. I've noticed that the airlock bubbles frequently for 4-5 days and then slows down to almost none.

Once I siphon it over the the secondary carboy the airlock no longer bubbles at all. The inner cone of the airlock seems raised up slightly like there is some CO2 present, but not enough to cause a bubble. I'm wondering if I've left it in the primary too long. From the videos I watched online I was given the impression that the secondary is larger since there is more activity at that stage that the primary. I'm not seeing any apparent activity at all once racking to the secondary.

Actually, you're bass ackwards. Primary fermentation is where most - if not all - fermentation happens. Secondary fermentation is just to clear the beer - let more yeast drop out.

Also, use your hydrometer to make sure fermentation is done before racking to the secondary.

I usually primary for at least 3 weeks and rarely secondary. Secondary is to add fruit/hop additions or clear your beer, as said above.

Your airlock movement sounds correct, they will be active for the first week and thats about it. Ignore it, hydrometer's are a much better gauge of what point your beer is at.

RDWHAHB

Thanks for pointing that out. The secondary has been in the closet for a week now so I got confused on which was larger. I claim noob as a defense this time. :drunk:

Double_Facepalm.jpg

Back