The book is wrong.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just trying to revisit all of my brewing books. The first time since I started AG brewing.
I want to see if I understand some of the points I skipped or didn't understand the first time round.

If you have done this or read books after you learnt to brew are there any specific details or concepts that you do not agree with or think are outdated or wrong?

I'm just starting on The Brew Masters Bible. I'll list my thoughts when as I read it.

Page 11: "When ever possible use a secondary fermenter.....a day or two in a secondary can greatly improve a beers maturation time and smoothness of character"

I think my beers are better for not doing this.

I think moving beer to the secondary seems rather pointless if it's going to be for a day or two. At that rate you could let it settle out in the primary.

Now for my book 'The Complete Joy of Homebrewing'; Using gypsum in every single recipe. I've never used it once, I still make great beer.

Back