Total Newbie Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrittenhouse

Reaction score
I have been reading "How to Brew" by John Palmer. I have also been watching videos from Midwest, homebrewingvideo.com, and even youtube.

I have studied the (simple-looking) process of extract brewing and it seems fairly easy and might be a great starting point. I doubt I want to skip to grain as I think that would be careless on my part seeing as how I have never brewed a beer in my life.

I believe I want to stay away from Mr Beer type kits (nothing against them I just tend to outgrow things quickly). I have been looking at a kit such as The Basic Midwest kit: Brewing Basics Equipment Kit :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies
Or the other kit: Brewing Starter Kit :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

I've read a lot of "do's and don'ts" but I think I just need to brew it and let me be the judge. I am however asking for any input that can be offered about these two types of kits. Are there anywhere cheaper? etc. I think the difference mainly is the Carboy and the AutoSiphon if I am reading it correctly.

I also realize that they don't come with any ingredients to start me out. I would have to order that along with this kit (so that is another $30-$40 or so?).

I am just looking for some guidance. I am on a pretty limited budget so if I go with those kits (at first) I might get the Basic ($60) kit. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

You would also need a large pot, the larger the better, and also consider how you can cool down the wort to pitching temp, and also how to keep it within your desired fermentation temp.
Otherwise, equipment can be what ever works for you.
I have been brewing for over a decade and my equipment still is kind of ghetto style. What ever works for you.

That basic kit will do you just fine to start out with. I do however think that the auto-siphon is one of the easiest ways to save yourself a LOT of trouble. It just makes brew days go so much easier when you have one.

Besides what is in that kit, you will need a pot that can hold at least 4-5 gallons, approx 50 bottles and an ingredient kit. You can get kits from many different vendors, but I recommend Austin Homebrew Supply.

Welcome to the hobby. I would absolutely begin with extract brewing. Once you have several extract brews under your belt and have perfected your process of sanitizing and fermenting, you can switch to all grain. Some brewers do extract forever and make fantastic beer.

The videos that you have watched are excellent and will give you many of the steps that you need to know visually which will help you on your quest. Personal suggestion, dig into some of the podcasts that are out there, specifically Basic Brewing Radio, Basic Brewing Video, The Brewing Networks' Jamil Show, TBN's Brew Strong, and if you've got time on your hands and can handle lots of gross humor (which I love) TBN's the Sunday Session - you get about 20 minutes of great beer info out of a four hour podcast.

Lastly, it looks like the MW pricing is as good as you're likely to find. Order the higher end kit with the carboy and autosiphon. You will bust a manual priming siphon over your knee by the third time you have to re-prime it, and believe me - use the carboy to start a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein RIGHT NOW - and never put your beer in it. Secondary fermentors are not necessary.

Cheers

You would also need a large pot, the larger the better, and also consider how you can cool down the wort to pitching temp, and also how to keep it within your desired fermentation temp.
Otherwise, equipment can be what ever works for you.
I have been brewing for over a decade and my equipment still is kind of ghetto style. What ever works for you.

I'm wondering if my basement will be around the right temperature range or not. My weather station says that the temp at night is around 77F in my computer/game room but its around 86F during a warm day! From my reading that is typically too high. Ideas on effectively checking the temps of an area? I would think if I stuck a monitor down there I would get somewhat a temperature reading but I am not sure how that translates to the temperature of a jug sitting on the floor.

I was guessing that I would just balance the temp with adding cold/hot water balancing the wort temp. What do you find works OK for this?

Any suggestions are very much welcome!

Thank you

That basic kit will do you just fine to start out with. I do however think that the auto-siphon is one of the easiest ways to save yourself a LOT of trouble. It just makes brew days go so much easier when you have one.

Besides what is in that kit, you will need a pot that can hold at least 4-5 gallons, approx 50 bottles and an ingredient kit. You can get kits from many different vendors, but I recommend Austin Homebrew Supply.

I figure I would go and try to find a large pot locally. I will need the bottles too though eventually (before bottling).

Good thought about the autosiphon! I wanted it anyhow but I figured it would be cheaper to buy by itself but the next poster says I don't need the secondary fermenter and to use the Carboy for something! Sorry I'm still learning!

Thanks

Welcome to the hobby. I would absolutely begin with extract brewing. Once you have several extract brews under your belt and have perfected your process of sanitizing and fermenting, you can switch to all grain. Some brewers do extract forever and make fantastic beer.

The videos that you have watched are excellent and will give you many of the steps that you need to know visually which will help you on your quest. Personal suggestion, dig into some of the podcasts that are out there, specifically Basic Brewing Radio, Basic Brewing Video, The Brewing Networks' Jamil Show, TBN's Brew Strong, and if you've got time on your hands and can handle lots of gross humor (which I love) TBN's the Sunday Session - you get about 20 minutes of great beer info out of a four hour podcast.

Lastly, it looks like the MW pricing is as good as you're likely to find. Order the higher end kit with the carboy and autosiphon. You will bust a manual priming siphon over your knee by the third time you have to re-prime it, and believe me - use the carboy to start a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein RIGHT NOW - and never put your beer in it. Secondary fermentors are not necessary.

Cheers

I LOVE podcasts/vidcasts. I never thought to search for them!

First off what is EdWort's Apfelwein? and why isn't a secondary fermentor necessary? I've read it just makes it a little less "yeasty" in the bottom of the bottles (after you bottle it) as well as making it lighter in color..etc.

Please enlighten me as I haven't even brewed a batch yet!!

Thank you for the reply

I'm a big fan of podcasts too - spend some time checking those out.

You'll find that most brewers out there, including many on this site, will tell you that the secondary just isn't necessary - leave the beer in the primary for 7-10 days (maybe longer, depending on the beer) then rack to bottles or kegs, in fact racking to secondary can be an additional step where you can introduce infection or oxidation into your brew.

As for Apfelwein, read this post : https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/edworts-apfelwein-33986/

Sorry, I seem to have one pint to many to be able to put in a link, but it's definitely worth the price of admission.

[/QUOTE]Sorry, I seem to have one pint to many to be able to put in a link, but it's definitely worth the price of admission.[/QUOTE]

Wow - guess I wasn't - time for another pint

I figure I would go and try to find a large pot locally. I will need the bottles too though eventually (before bottling).

Instead of spending money on new bottles, you can buy back fron a local beer distributor for 7-8 cents each. Just soak them in oxyclean free for a couple of hours, and rinse well.
I picked up 200 bottles for about $16.00. Better then about $120.00!

Dave

Instead of spending money on new bottles, you can buy back fron a local beer distributor for 7-8 cents each. Just soak them in oxyclean free for a couple of hours, and rinse well.
I picked up 200 bottles for about $16.00. Better then about $120.00!

Dave

When I was making my first batch, I told my friends I was making beer and needed empties. I told them only people who helped got to drink. I practically had enough bottles in 2 weeks to last me until I kegged!

When I was making my first batch, I told my friends I was making beer and needed empties. I told them only people who helped got to drink. I practically had enough bottles in 2 weeks to last me until I kegged!

I have been working hard myself to collect enough bottles. I can't see buying empty bottles when you can buy them full. Unfortunately many of my friends and family have decided to start training for marathons another such nonsense in their mid 30's so I can't really rely on them for many bottles these days...

I can't see buying empty bottles when you can buy them full.

I do agree with you on this to an extent. When I first got my home brew kit, I had enough bottles from myself ready to bottle my first batch.
Before I knew it, I had 3 more fermentors, and 3 more beers needing bottles.
150 bottles in a month, averages to 5 a day... With a wife and two kids 5 beers a day would be considered excessive!
So, I picked up 200 between 2 beer distributors, and look at it this way, now I need to fill the other 50 bottles soon.
Dave

These are all great ideas! I think the bottles won't be too hard to find (I read non twist type).

The initial investment for me is going to be the hardest. I will probably order Online when I do order but I want to check out this local place we have which MIGHT have some of the stuff. They are called "The Winerak" and they sell lots of wine/beer and I recall kits or something there.

A local brewery makes a Scotish Ale that I like but my favorite two are Pumpkin Ale and Oktoberfest. Any suggestions for a first batch with either of these flavors?

Thank you

A local brewery makes a Scotish Ale that I like but my favorite two are Pumpkin Ale and Oktoberfest. Any suggestions for a first batch with either of these flavors?

There have been a ton of posts on this board about pumpkin ale in the last week. Austin Home Brew has a pumpkin ale recipe that seemed to be well liked.
I ordered it. Brewed it last night. Can't wait to drink it!
Austin Home Brew has tons of different recipes, and you can order in what ever brew method you feel comfortable with... Extract, Partial Mash...
Check out their site, they have everything you need!
Dave

There have been a ton of posts on this board about pumpkin ale in the last week. Austin Home Brew has a pumpkin ale recipe that seemed to be well liked.
I ordered it. Brewed it last night. Can't wait to drink it!
Austin Home Brew has tons of different recipes, and you can order in what ever brew method you feel comfortable with... Extract, Partial Mash...
Check out their site, they have everything you need!
Dave

Nice. I do need to gather the money and order the kit then. I may only be able to afford the Basic kit right now but I will try for the other.

Thanks for all of the replies!

Robert

Welcome your cheapest investment is finding and using this sight,
I to wanted to start out on the cheap thats ok. BUT YOU WILL GET HOOKED, and if youve read any of the Have I screwwed up my beer threads u know it is Highly unlikely (save for infection due to sanitation) to really screw up a beer, If i had it to do all over again I Would buy the the better kit, you will end up buying those items anyway. I went really cheap for my first brew Just 2 1/2 gallons i already had a 3 gallon canning pot, bleach for sanitizer, candie thermometer: bought at my Local Brew House siphone hose with a stop clamp, bottle caps and the one thing I am really glad I did from the begining was to buy a bench bottle caper I just didint like the look and operation of the winged capper. For fermenting I used the filterd 2 1/2 gallon bottled water carboy for my brew water and fermenter, used sanitized tin foilover the carboy for cap . .there is a ton of reasons not to use the water bottle carboy but for your first brew it will be ok. Was able to cool the smaller 2 1/2 gallons in my pot in my sink. A simple Weat beer recipe using Dry Malt Extracts hop pellets and dry yeast. let ferment two weeks and siphoned into my sanitized pot as bottleing bucket. siphoned into bottles (NO screw top bottles) ; i had collected in the two weeks prior, will take 24, more or less. and conditioned for 2 weeks in the bottles. not really I started sampleing after 1 was better after 2 and weeks. I MADE BEER A Good beer, not great, but Highly Drinkable.:mug::tank::rockin::drunk:
You mentioned a pumpkin beer, Just add pumpkin spice end of boil, Might try a little dried bitter orange peel also.
:confused: I think your biggest, besides sanitaion, place to mess up would be your fermentation temperature those first (3 or 4 days), just us a water bath with ice bottles:cross:

Robert - you asked about fermentation temps too -

YES, they are important. I didn't pay enough attention early on - but now, I'm very OCD about them and my beer is so much better. As a newbie, I recommend that you start that habit early.

Many beer kits don't come with yeast but recommend a style.
You'll find that the yeast mfg lists temps for each strain they sell.
Do your level best to keep the fermenting beer within that range.
It's okay to start out a little warm (say 75F) but you should put it where it will cool to optimum temps. Cool basement may not be ideal - the fermentation activity will raise the temp inside your fermenter 4-8 degrees warmer than the location it's sitting in.

Some options -
spare refrigerator, with a temp controller set to say 62F
Large rope-handled bucket from wally world, filled with water, set your fermenter in it and
a) cover with a t-shirt, with a fan blowing on it to get evaporative cooling
b) frozen water bottles - several. So you can cycle them in the tub and in your freezer.

Oh, and WELCOME to HBT!
Good luck.

Sounds like you have a very good idea about what's going on, and therefore, I imagine you will do well, and enjoy it. That is why I think you should go with the best kit that suits your needs.

I'd skip the secondary, which is not necessary for nearly all styles, and sub in something else that will help out. An autosiphon is a great thing to have, but remember to not use it on the hot wort. It will warp badly and become useless.

In Michigan, I can go to nearly any store and ask about getting bottles for 10 cents each. Pick up a tub of Oxiclean Free (no colors or perfumes) and when you get your kit, make sure to get some Star San Sanitizer. You might want to find a cheap spray bottle at the Walmart to spray star san on your stuff too.

Ferm temps are critical to making the best tasting beer, so if your temps are a bit high, maybe do a search on swamp coolers to start with.

Sounds like you like the malty beers, and there are plenty of choices in kits to get you going.

I am looking at a 13' 7' (or so) room in the basement which has a door and two windows for a possible room to brew in. I am making an attempt to measure the temperature in that room. To do this I hooked up my temp sensor from my weather station and put it on a shelf up about 7' in the middle of the room. I have the receiver hooked up to my computer which is logging this data for me.

I'm going to monitor it for (at least) 24 hours to see what the ranges are at this time of the year. Currently it has been 75.0F for quite a while.

The room is carpeted and I'm just curious what the temps are going to be in there at this time of the year.

As a side note I TOTALLY forgot about one store that has a lot of brewing equipment! We actually host their website where I work haha. Beer & Wine Making Supplies : Shrivers Pharmacy, For That Extra Service and Good Health, Think of Us - Zanesville

How is this kit? It would be much easier to just go over a few streets and pick all this up! And I would get to use it sooner!

Brewer's Best Beer Equipment Kit [1000] - $51.99 : Shrivers Pharmacy, For That Extra Service and Good Health, Think of Us - Zanesville

Thanks for the input everyone

Robert Rittenhouse

Back