Freezer to Keezer help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushnbugs

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 4 foot Frigidaire chest freezer that I wanted to convert into a Keezer.

My first dilemma is how do I get the temp up so my kegs don't freeze. Right now when its plugged in, the warmest I can get it is 10 degrees above zero. It does have a thermostat on the bottom but again at the warmest it is 10…?

Can I just drill a hole in the side and pull my gas line through? I don't see why not as long as I caulk around it sealing the voids.

Thanks for any ideas.

DSCF15651.JPG

DSCF15631.JPG

You are going to need a temp controller like a ranco or Johnson control that you plug the freezer plug into, it has a temperature probe that you can line into the freezer in between the seal and I suggest putting it in a sealed container with water so you know the liquid temp and it doesn't turn on every time you open the freezer

Also, I would t suggest cutting into e side as there are coolant lines in there. If you must cut into the side just barely pierce the outer shell and then use a pencil or something to break away the insulation and make sure there is no coolant line in between before drilling further.

Most people just put their co2 tank inside of the keezer. Personally when my keezer is done my gas line will be going in through a hole in the top

1) before you go installing and buying a temp. controller, try adjusting the set screw on the thermostat first. I was able to tweak mine to set at 40F. There is a thread here on it somewhere.

2) don't drill in the side of your freezer like the guy above said. go through the top or just put the CO2 inside. not worth the risk...

Ok thanks for the info there,

I thought I read somewhere on here that the CO2 shouldn't be refrigerated or kept cold. I do have pleanty of room inside and it would be safer in there too.

I didn't see a set screw on the back side of the thermostat? Any other ideas?

Thanks

crushnbugs said:
Ok thanks for the info there,

I thought I read somewhere on here that the CO2 shouldn't be refrigerated or kept cold. I do have pleanty of room inside and it would be safer in there too.

I didn't see a set screw on the back side of the thermostat? Any other ideas?

Thanks

There's gotta be something. Search for that thread and check out all the photos. Maybe it's under some tape or something.

Thank you Dan, that link was GREAT!

So I went back downstairs and pulled this thermostat out, pulled off the tape in search of a set screw of some sorts…

I did find a hole at the 12 o clock position on picture num 2 with a small regular screw inside the dial part of the switch, do you think this is it?

I tried taking some good pictures for you all.

OK I'm editing my post, I removed the shroud around the dial with the hole at the 12 O clock position, underneath that shroud and right on top of that screw hole there was a letter C with an arrow pointing to the left. I took the educated guess and turned the screw 3/4 turn to the right hopping for HOTTER.

Keep your fingers crossed that the temp will be higher than 10 degrees F in the morning!

PLEASE PLEASE WORK! I need a break…LOL

DSCN19181.JPG

DSCN19271.JPG

I believe we have the same freezer. That is the set screw that you found. In my experience you'll have to turn it several full turns to get into the right temp range.

I'll give you one word of warning, when I adjusted my freezer that way it worked great for a few months, but then it froze my kegs. I'm not sure what caused the temperature to go back down after all that time, but it really pissed me off. I got a fairly cheap analog Johnson Controller and it's working great. It was totally worth the $50.

Khan said:
I'll give you one word of warning, when I adjusted my freezer that way it worked great for a few months, but then it froze my kegs. I'm not sure what caused the temperature to go back down after all that time, but it really pissed me off.

Your abv was too low!

Kahn,

Thanks for the suggestion. I think you were spot on, I just checked it and it was at 12 degrees. I just turned it 2 1/2 full revolutions. Ill give it 6-8 hours and recheck.

Last November this freezer jumped up to 35 degrees and defrosted everything inside on me. So over the Holidays I bought a NEW one and unplugged this one figuring I would dump it.

After defrosting it and letting it sit a month it is back to freezing temps again but I have little faith in it. This is WHY I hate to buy anything for it. The idea of losing my beer in it is really disturbing too.

I keep looking for a deal or something on sale...

Back