Need advice for kegerator idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgray58

Reaction score
I have a std frig with overhead frzr in laundry room that is 90% beverages (soda, beer, water, etc.). I have zero use for the frzr. Would like kegerator for 1-2 cornies PLUS space for other beverages. (Taps would have to be on the front door due to location.) I COULD use the current frig but feel I am wasting space with the frzr and kinda wasting a really good frig/frzr. Thinking of selling for the cash then buying something else to modify. First thought is a freezerless refrig, but they seem to be limited supply, especially used. Used upright freezers seem to be easier to obtain and I am thinking one of these with a Ranco controller would be my best bet. Any advice?

be careful with upright freezers. i got one for free and the shelving had the coils running underneath every shelf. i was able to carefully bend them out of the way, but not able to remove them. not saying you cant do it(i dont know about refrigeration) but i assume you will need to know what you are doing.

There have been people on here talking about cutting the separation between the fridge and freezer out, since alot of times there are no coolant lines in that area. That might be a way to gain the extra space? Of course then you would probably need to rig some custom shelves up.

The removal of the seperation between frezzer/fridge doesn't sound like a bad idea. I use the frezer in mine for mug storage and hop storage. I vaccuum seal my harvest and store in teh frezzer. If its a really nice gridge you might actually consider selling and buying something that you won't feel to bad about slicing and dicing. Wif likes it because it contains my beer stuff to most one fridge.

Understood on shelf coils. Just picked up a used freezer this AM that I plan to use for fermentation of two batches at a time. (My current ferm frig only holds one bucket.) Had to pass on another freezer last week because of the shelf coil problem.

Cutting the space between frig and freezer seems like too much work. Plus, still gotta look good.

Location is my main driver for upright as I have about 34" width to use and standard frig/frzr depth. Height is to the ceiling but would like shelves above the unit.

Back