Malto dextrin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderThePorchBrewing

Reaction score
have a porter recipe that calls for "1.00 cup Malto-Dextrine". I always thought with cup measurements it would be a liquid but can not find it. Is this Malto Dextrin dry powder. the recipe also calls for 4 oz of lactose would the 2 be very sweet together in the same recipe?
Ben

Malto-dextrin adds no flavor to a beer. It is strictly used for body and head retention. Also, two ounces of lactose isn't too bad. It should help out nicely.

As for what to look for... Malto-dextrin can be found in several forms. I first used it as a white powder. It looks like lactose, priming sugar, etc. The second form is as a malt. It may be labeled as Carapils, Dextrin Malt, etc.

Good luck.

Malto dextrine is a powder. Dextrine malt is meant to achieve the same thing, but they can't be used interchangeably.

I don't understand why not? Obviously and extract brewer should be using the powdered version, which is more concentrated I would imagine.

But, as an all-grain brewer, I would think you could use one or the other to achieve the exact same result.

Because one is a powder and the other is a grain. You can add the powder to your wort/beer directly. Dextrine malt would need to be mashed before the boil. They can't be used interchangeably.

thanks for the info. I have carapils/dextrine grain uncrushed from another recipe. this recipe is all grain so I can mash it. approx how much would you suggest? the recipe says a cup do they mean 8 oz by volume of the powder or by weight and if by weight that would seem like a lot considering the other recipe only had a few oz's in a PM. I am just starting to enjoy porters and stouts and only recently AG so have no idea what would be appropriate for the recipe. the alternative is to order it and wait to brew this in a week or so and do the weizenbock this Sunday. the recipe is below. i did post it in another thread for another reason if it looks familiar. I do not know the name of the original brewer so can not give him the credit for the recipe.

Black Pearl Porter (AG)
EDI: found the recipe it is one of BierMuncher's recipes.
ALL GRAIN - 5 Gallons
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Fuggles [4.52%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.20%] (2 min)

0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)

1.00 cup Malto-Dextrine (Boil 20.0 min)
4.00 oz Lactose (Boil 15.0 min)

1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.00 lb
Mash In Add 4.06 gal of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F 45 min
Mash Out Add 2.50 gal of water at 206.7 F 175.0 F 15 min

Primary 1 Week (60 Degrees)
Secondary 10 Days (60 Degrees)
Kegged and Force Carbed or Primed and Bottled

This was a very good, very rich Porter. Nice sweetness and great mouthfeel. Friends who shy away from Stout loved this milder (but creamier) dark beer.

Back