What do I need to know? Some basic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know a few card tricks, and a fair bit about microbiology. Any particular topic you have in mind?

Gravity pulls towards the center of the mass that creates it. It applies an acceleration of 9.8 meters/sec squared. It keeps everything nice and attached to the surface of the planet.

Just the basics.

You are in a forum that is full of people who are very willing to answer any and all questions. There are a ton of knowledgeable people that will help you, no matter how stupid a question you post and no matter how many times they've read and answered the same stupid question. All you have to do is ask a slightly more specific question.

Ok I'll start off by asking what is a beer that dosnt have to ferment for too long? And would it be a good idea to do several batches of different things so they can ferment? Like I was thinking of starting off with 2 5gal of a lager cause I know those dot have to ferment for to long, and hen maybe do 2 5gals of an ipa? Or is that just asking for too much?

Oh and I am kinda worried about temp contral. I live in a house with ca and it is like 80 inside I'm wondering is that going to be too hot? And is there a way I can somehow I can turn my closet into a cooling room?

OK. Simple straightforward Ales can be fremented and conditioned within 2-3 weeks in the primary fermenter, then bottled and bottle conditioned and carbed in ~3 weeks. A basic pale ale or a cream ale would be good first brews, but if you like IPAs, go ahead and try a smaller IPA recipe (5.8% ABV or less).

I wouldn't jump into several batches at once..start with one and then move to another so you can learn from any mistakes. Your temperature issue will preclude lagering completely and will also present a problem for ales which generally need to ferment somewhere between 63-73 degrees depending on the yeast. Even the top end of that range is pushing it in my opinion, never mind 80 degrees. You can search this site for swamp cooler instructions - that should help you get in the right range...Lagers need to ferment in the 50's so without refridgeration and control, they are out of the question for you.

But the single best piece of advice I can give you is to read how to brew by John Palmer...it's available free online. Google it. I am guessing from the questions you are asking that you would benefit from a good overview and this is one of the best...don't jump in without some additional knowledge. You'll likely frustrate yourself right out of what should be an easy and rewarding hobby.

Session ales are nice for a quick turnaround...basically a low ABV ale. An added benefit is you can drink them for a lot longer before you begin to feel the adverse effects of beer consumption. Also, what has helped me immensely in my quest for brewing knowledge was to just cruise this forum and read threads, then at the bottom of the thread, click on a link to a related thread. You will end up exposing yourself to a ton of relevant info, and you get a chance to see what some of the folks here are like, as far as forum personae at any rate

If you have a dream that you we eating a sheep, and you wake up to your pillow being gone, you should seek medical attention

Ok in seriousness...

If you want a beer that turns around quick, you want an ale. Ales take 3 weeks fermenting and then 3 weeks in bottles. English ales are served less carbonated, so those are ready in a total of 4-5 weeks instead of 6.

As far as cooling goes, get a big bucket, or use your spare tub like I did when I was living in my apt, and fill it with ice water. Put your carboy in that. It'll keep the temps down.

Ok I'll start off by asking what is a beer that dosnt have to ferment for too long? And would it be a good idea to do several batches of different things so they can ferment? Like I was thinking of starting off with 2 5gal of a lager cause I know those dot have to ferment for to long, and hen maybe do 2 5gals of an ipa? Or is that just asking for too much?

Its a great idea to start different brews and stagger them so you always have something to taste, and something to look forward too. I basically do a new brew every 2 weeks so that I now have a constant pipeline of home brews.

BUT: Also consider how long it will take you to consume and give away 5gallons of beer. I personally do small 2.5 gallon batches now and 5-10gallon batches on proven recipes.

For your first few brews I HIGHLY recommend you stick with a proven recipe. Don't try to alter the recipe in any way. Just follow a proven recipe until you get your process down. Once you figure out the basics you can start to experiment with your own recipes.

Look on craigslist for a used chest freezer or refrigerator to use as a fermentation chamber. Temperature control during fermentation is the biggest difference between ok beer and great beer.

So then maybe 2 batches? Then after like 2 weeks do another 2? I have plenty of friend that enjoy beer so that point won't be my problem at all. But yah I deff wanna just do a proven batch forsure. And what are some good ingredient kits I should look for? Or start off with?

BUT: Also consider how long it will take you to consume and give away 5gallons of beer. I personally do small 2.5 gallon batches now and 5-10gallon batches on proven recipes.

+1

I made four batches at first, then I couldn't brew for about 7 months because I had too much beer. SWMBO wouldn't let me buy more bottles

I would absolutely make a half batch first. Until you get something you like or get more familiar with brewing processes.

Awesome sounds good.

Now what about fermenting buckets? Should I use just 5gal buckets? Or would you guys recommend big 5gal glass ones? I would kinda wantnto watch it ferment.

Lower abv beers take less longer. Although you could make a beer in 2 weeks or less and keg it which probably would be quickest.Like a hefe or mild or bitter or light pale ale or something. If you bottle then usually you have to wait a few weeks more,all depending how well you made it or how lucky you got.Yeast pitching rates and temps are important as always.Less volume wont make it quicker to ferment,its a matter of scale and time can take equally as long.More wort=more yeast,less wort = less yeast.Same time. It depends moreso on abv and maybe malt ingredient complexity and of course if its a strong beer or maybe belgian. And cooler temps-like lagers.

Just looking for some basic info that I should know.
I began home brewing one year ago this month. (12 brews, 60 gallons so far). When I started I didn't know about this forum. Here is what I did:
Searched home brew supply online stores
Chose the one that seemed to have good prices and low shipping
Read the discriptions of starter brew kits, chose the one, one step above the cheapest.
Read the discriptions of the receipe kits, chose an inexpensive one that said it would be ready in 4 weeks.
When everything arrived it was Christmas in August! Read the instructions on the kit a couple times. Then I brewed, waited, bottled, waited, then tried a bottle. It was good, I was a home brewer :ban:
That help any?

There's also this, http://www.howtobrew.com, considered by many to be an essential text for all levels of brewers.

The Northern Brewer kits are great, wide variety of styles available and a great place to start.

Typically primary fermenters are 6 to 6.5 gallon glass carboys or 7( I think?) gallon buckets. You need extra headspace in there during fermentation.

But seriously, read the online How To Brew and it will answer (and probably create!) a lot of questions.

Latest posts

Back