How do I know if my keg is carbonated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roythebull

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a keg with co2 at 2.0 bar. How do I know when it's carbonated?
cheers!

How many volumes of CO2 are you targeting? 2 bar at 4 degrees C will give you over 4 volumes at equilibrium (which will take couple of weeks) which I think is overcarbonated for just about any beer style except a German wheat beer.

pour a glass and see
its my favorite method. if its flat its not ready lol

seriously though two weeks under gas usually makes a pretty well carbed beer imo.

I usually set it to 50 PSI for about 24 hours and it’s in the range of fully carbonated, at least good enough to start drinking. I then drop it to 10-12 and it levels out over the next week but I can already drink it. It usually gets better over the week as the yeast falls out

I usually set it to 50 PSI for about 24 hours and it’s in the range of fully carbonated, at least good enough to start drinking. I then drop it to 10-12 and it levels out over the next week but I can already drink it. It usually gets better over the week as the yeast falls out
I have done a variation on this. I set mine to 30psi, grab the top handle and shake it a bit. I would then set a timer on my phone for 30 minutes, snd ho fo something else. When the timer goes off, go give it a shake. Rinse & repeat until I am tired of the fun. It’s usually pretty close the next day.

Now, I like to do the natural carbing in the keg. Either way, pouring a glass is the best way to tell. Cheers! 🍻

Back