Propane Burner + Wooden Deck on 2nd Floor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blsmit

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just moved into a really nice condo and totally forgot to consider my brewing. The kitchen is kinda small but I've brewed in smaller, the issue is that Im moving up to AG and purchased a new 8 Gallon aluminum brew pot, but my gas stove is only 9500 BTU's, and I know thats going to take forever. I did a 45 minute test with 5 gallons of water on high, this just started getting warm and bubbling. So I know that 6.5 Gallons is going to take forever. So heres my issue, I'm not that savy on building a heat stick and don't trust myself to mess around with electricity+water+Fuse boxes+Outlets. I was looking at two options.

Bucket Heater+ Gas Stove=long time
or
High Pressure Burner+Propane Tank+Concrete Board=quicker boil time but not as safe.

If its helpful the deck is 10'l x 8'w x 10'h.

Thanks in advance for the responses. I would also appreciate suggestions on first all grain brew.
blsmit

I use a Bayou Classic SP10 and a concrete BBQ board. Three batches and never noticed any sort of problem with the wooden deck.

In fact, I just realized I DIDN'T place the burner on the board last weekend and there was absolutley no issues.

I also start with HOT tap water. As hot as I can get it, which reduces heating times to mash temp and then boil.

Just beware of complaints. By saying nice condo, that almost always means HOA rules apply. Which pretty much ban anything fun and/or creative. Make friends with your neighbors and hopefully you can avoid it.

So you two say that this is a good idea, but make sure that I'm safe and i have neighbors who enjoy homebrewed beer. Correct?

If you're REALLY worried, keep a fire extinguisher handy. The concrete board's a good idea, too (it'll also make sure the burner is sitting on a very level surface. A 3x5 sheet of half-inch cement board would work perfect (buy it in the tiling section of any Depot).

But, I've used burners on wood deck plenty of times; the legs aren't getting hot enough to cause combustion, and the burners are pretty stable.

I think your bigger problem here is not the burner on the deck from a safety perspective, but the burner on the deck from a rules perspective (as others have mentioned).

Both my mother-in-law and a friend (homebrew on this forum) had strict rules against any kind of propane burning device on their decks. It was completely forbidden.

Yeah HOA and local laws will be a bigger issue than safety.

As long as you are observing the boil and have an extinguisher handy, just in case, you will be fine. I do my work out on the deck which is all wood.

A good point though was the space issue. You need to get things organized and planned out when you are working in a small space to ensure you aren't putting yourself at risk. Things like stepping over the tank or having a work table real close to the burner (dropping stuff on it or backing into it) are things to look out for.

From a safety point, you'll be fine. Be sure to keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case, and watch those tripping hazards.
And, like many others here have posted, you may or may not be allowed to do it due to HOA or city policy. I'm a firefighter in the KC metro area, and the city I work for does not allow any open flame on balconies/decks of apartment/condos. I can't tell you how many times I've been called out on "illegal grilling" calls. Nosy neighbors & people pretending they didn't know about the ordinance.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

I just use sheet metal - Aluminum Flashing instead of concrete board. It acts like a heat shield on you car.

I used to live on the top floor of a 3rd floor apartment complex and used to cook out on the open wooden deck. Office was aware and apparently ok with it since they called me one time because someone thought my deck was on fire but I told them I was grilling and they said ok, just checking.

But it was not until one time my neighbor below threw a party while I was cooking that I realized I could drop splattering grease (or worse) on those below and thought how stupid I was. Anyway, you are not cooking meat but don't forget the people below you if you have a slatted deck instead of a solid one.

Might want to consider what happens if you have a boil over and someone else is below your deck on their deck. I think I'd consider one of those pans you put under a washing machine in case of leaks.

http://www.appliancezone.com/ShowProduct.aspx?ID=2605

Yep, better make it a big one too. Could you imagine knocking it over (ok unlikely) or spilling some on someone below? Wouldn't want to be responsible for that. I think for saftey reasons of others it would be a bad idea.

Might want to consider what happens if you have a boil over and someone else is below your deck on their deck.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too, but was thinking of the worst case scenario where it does get knocked over. 6 gallons of boiling liquid spilled through the deck is gonna ruin the hell out of someone's day.

I brew on a wood deck all the time, however it's my deck, my house and nobody below it. After two years of brewing on it - well it looks like crap. Spills, Oxyclean, etc. take their toll on wood decks.

How many 1-2 gallon pots do you have?

I am currently in an apartment and it takes forever to get 5 gallons to boil on a single burner, but I can boil 5 gallons split amongst the burners in no time at all. After they all come up to a boil combine and a single burner can take it from there.

I have the SP10, and brew on my deck (house).

However Warning #6 on from the Bayou Classic manual:

6. USE only on a level, stable non-combustible surface like brick, concrete or dirt. Do NOT use this appliance on any surface that will burn or melt like wood, asphalt, vinyl, or plastic.

I also noticed last time I was brewing that a wide area underneath and around the burner was very hot. I need to re-think where I am currently brewing.

Chris

Any reason you can't do your boiling outside on a remote part of the sidewalk or maybe in your garage? Hot wort falling through the cracks during a boilover (they happen) would have me much more worried than the fire issue.

GMBrews:There are no garages, just open parking. (I feel so bad for my mini cooper). I do agree with the hot wort falling through the cracks on my neighbor.

Here is the most secluded parking spaces. [ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.437226,-74.552629&z=19&t=h&hl=en"]Here.[/ame] Whats the rules on open flames next to cars?
And heres a gravel parking lot next to a park. [ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.436546,-74.549233&z=17&t=h&hl=en"]Here[/ame]

This is looking more and more like I'm going to have to buy another pot,and two bucket heaters, to be able to do all grain.

Ben

I brew on a 3rd floor balcony exactly the same size as the one you have (I have some pics in my gallery) and I have no trouble at all doing 10g AG batches. I also use a propane burner with no heat shield and have never noticed any problems with the deck. If you're really concerned, go get some cement board. As for boilovers, I just don't brew when my neighbors are below me. I know them, so I just ask if they're having a cookout on a certain day. If not, I go for it. They don't mind and they usually get a little something for their trouble. Just give everybody a 6er every once in a while and keep things neat and they'll keep quiet. Also, I don't use my kettle for anything other than boiling wort. At the beginning of the day I fire up the e-HLT and use that for strike and sparge water. That way, I always hit my strike/mashout temps and my neighbors don't have to listen to my burner for 6 hours.

As others have mentioned, layout of the brewing space is key. There isn't much room, so it needs to be organized. It will take you a couple sessions to get things where you want them, but it is easily doable. More than that, it's just as enjoyable as working in a garage. The only thing that is a bit of a pain is water. I take very hot water from the bathtub and carry it out in buckets. For my IC, I run a hose up from the ground and have a shutoff valve on the end so I don't have to run up and down the stairs as much.

I vote for the balcony, but the important thing is to find somewhere to brew. Good luck.

I brew on a 3rd floor balcony exactly the same size as the one you have (I have some pics in my gallery) and I have no trouble at all doing 10g AG batches. I also use a propane burner with no heat shield and have never noticed any problems with the deck. If you're really concerned, go get some cement board. As for boilovers, I just don't brew when my neighbors are below me. I know them, so I just ask if they're having a cookout on a certain day. If not, I go for it. They don't mind and they usually get a little something for their trouble. Just give everybody a 6er every once in a while and keep things neat and they'll keep quiet. Also, I don't use my kettle for anything other than boiling wort. At the beginning of the day I fire up the e-HLT and use that for strike and sparge water. That way, I always hit my strike/mashout temps and my neighbors don't have to listen to my burner for 6 hours.

As others have mentioned, layout of the brewing space is key. There isn't much room, so it needs to be organized. It will take you a couple sessions to get things where you want them, but it is easily doable. More than that, it's just as enjoyable as working in a garage. The only thing that is a bit of a pain is water. I take very hot water from the bathtub and carry it out in buckets. For my IC, I run a hose up from the ground and have a shutoff valve on the end so I don't have to run up and down the stairs as much.

I vote for the balcony, but the important thing is to find somewhere to brew. Good luck.

Well, I guess if you know your neighbors in the two units below you and they are ok with you doing it and know to stay off the deck when you are and know they could have hot wort splashed on them if they do then I guess you have that problem solved. I was not that close with mine to have an arrangement like that.

Why not go with an electric system? Heatstick or a more permanent element installation into kettle?

Then you could brew indoors on your stove, and use the hood to vent everything out of the home.

It might actually work pretty well with a stove and heat stick combo. After everything is brought up to boil, heatstick could be removed and stove burners should keep a low rolling boil going.

I am not going to say what you are doing is wrong or criticize you. I can only speak for myself. I would never attempt it, because if God forbid something went wrong and there was a fire other peoples units could be burned as well. Doing something like that in a stand alone house where the only one that would be affected is myself is one thing, but in a condo where others could be possibly affected is another. My conscience wouldn't let me do it.

I cannot agree more with sawdustguy. And since I have two 3 gallon pots and on 7 gallon pot. I am going to brew inside with all three big burners going. I plan on diving up my hops and additions amongst the three while they boil as opposed to combining them all in the big one. Will this work? I don't think that my stove top can handle even holding that much liquid at a boil.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I will post back with problems that arose.

Back