auto-siphon......problem ????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbgv

Reaction score
yesterday I bottled another batch..this was my 1st time using an 'auto-siphon'..the A-S ,I got has the 3/8" OD tube...I connected a 3/8"ID hose to it and started the transfer to the bottling bucket..I noticed that where the hose and the siphon tube come together there was a generation of bubbles that would not clear out and flowed into my bucket..I thought there might be a small air leak,so I stopped the flow and made sure that there was no leakage at the connection..restarted the siphon and still air bubbles continued to flow into my bucket...the beer coming up the A-S had no bubbles till it got to the larger [ID verses OD]hose.....????????????

You may need a clamp where you attached the hose to the tube...I use one like these that I got from the lhbs.

PlasticHoseClamp.jpg

Get yourself some 5/16" ID tubing and you should be good to go. The 3/8" ID tubing is too big to get a good seal on the auto siphon.

Are you a kegger?

I have had some particularly frustration seal on some tubing myself. Too loose and bubbles. Too tight, bubbles and a potential crack.

A quick fix is to apply some keg lube to the lip of the tube to seal against the AS arm. Petroleum Jelly works too.

Ifin's you are really brave and through about cleaning/sanitizing you could even use silicone caulk. I do this but, I have a reeeeaaally long tube brush for the stubborn bits.

the tubing was a tight fit..tried to seal 1st with plastic tape wrapped tight...then coated the whole area with pet.jelly....bubbles seemed to be self generating,almost like carb. bubbles, right where the smaller ID of the A-S tube enlarged to ID of my tubing to the bucket....????????

Try pinching the hose near the connection where you see the bubbles forming to cut off the flow for a few seconds and then release it to restart the flow.

Back