Adding water to a 2 day wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarineRedneck

Reaction score
I am about 1/2 gallon of water short in my wort and i was wonder if i could a add half gallon or not. I hit when i am short with my beer stuff. But i was in hurry and didn't even think about it till know. :mug:

You will change your gravity by doing that. Was your gravity higher than you expected? If not, I would just leave it. You can always blend in some water right before bottling, but I would leave it if it were me.

Boil a half gallon of water and cool it and add to the fermenter you wont water it down any your just going to put the org gravity where its suposed to be

+1 to the boil, cool, and add. Make sure the water is cooled to the room temp of the wort before pitching so that the yeast aren't bothered by it one way or the other.

Just hold on everyone. We don't even know what his target OG was and what he actually recorded. Without that information I wouldn't do anything. You don't want to water down your beer just for the sake of having an extra 1/2 gallon.

Extract kit -Winter Belgian Tripel- Tripel was originally a name convention used by Trappist breweries to describe the strongest beer in their range. It includes a healthy amount of malt with added candy sugar to increase the alcohol and add dryness. Two hop additions add a subtle spiciness. A belgian strain of liquid yeast.

+1 to boiling the water, that will remove the oxygen from it. If your fermentation has started you dont want to oxygenate your wort.

I agree with Machineshop...giving the right advice is dependent on knowing what the OG was and what it was supposed to be.

Extract kit -Winter Belgian Tripel- Tripel was originally a name convention used by Trappist breweries to describe the strongest beer in their range. It includes a healthy amount of malt with added candy sugar to increase the alcohol and add dryness. Two hop additions add a subtle spiciness. A belgian strain of liquid yeast.

Can you tell us what the target OG was and the OG you actually recorded? We would also need to know what your current volume is so that we can calculate what another 1/2 gallon will do to your OG.

Without that information I would say that you do nothing and your beer should turn out fine.

Back