Secondary for Hefeweizen? And how long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weizenmeister

Reaction score
Hello my new virtual brewing family! Here's my first post/question beyond the intro....

I'm still pretty new to brewing, I just brew Hefeweizen, about ten 5 gal batches so far. Brew shop owner suggested I try giving it a secondary. I see many don't secondary their Weizens, but I did for the last batch and it seemed improved.

I'm wondering how long to leave it in secondary, after my one week primary. I assume there must be some point when longer isn't any better, diminishing returns? I'm very patient for results, but don't want to waste time either, or worse do it any harm.

Any wisdom on how long to secondary a Weizen? Where any longer wouldn't help any?

Thanks,
Jesse

hefeweizen is one of my all time favorite styles...its really all about the yeast. I don't see how racking to secondary would do anything other than leave those lovely little buggers behind.
what improvement did you think it made in your previous batch?

Just curious - what quality(ies) would you say was(were) improved on the batch you moved to secondary? You're right in that I have seen very few mentions (if any?) of folks moving their hefs to secondary.

I did a hef that was kinda awful when sampled before bottling, remained kinda bad after bottling for a couple months, and is now (6+ months later) an excellent beer of which I wish I had saved more. Mine lost a.. farty flavor over time, and gained a really nice glycerin-y note that I associate with good hefs.

I did a hef that was kinda awful when sampled before bottling, remained kinda bad after bottling for a couple months, and is now (6+ months later) an excellent beer

Yet to have a batch still around in 6 months. Gotta make an extra one and give it that time. Sounds like a lot can change post bottling.

Hefeweizen is one style that is best fresh, and sitting in a secondary is just extra time/waste of freshness.

And as noted above, one purpose of the secondary is to settle the yeast and leave it behind. Hefeweizen is served mit the hefe (with the yeast) because the yeast provides the characteristic flavor, so secondary is exactly the opposite of what you want to do.

You may see a lot of improvement in your Hefe's with a longer primary time. One week is very short. Give your next one at least two weeks. Go for three weeks on the next one.

Write down how the SG samples looked and tasted as you go.

I too love a Hefe but I don't like having farts that blow the sheets off the bed. That is why I crystal mine and remove as much of the yeast as possible. Still tastes great.

I too love a Hefe but I don't like having farts that blow the sheets off the bed. That is why I crystal mine and remove as much of the yeast as possible. Still tastes great.

I've too noticed that "side effect", some batches more than others. How does one "crystal" beer to remove yeast? I'm new to this and don't know such things yet. Thanks.

You may see a lot of improvement in your Hefe's with a longer primary time. One week is very short. Give your next one at least two weeks. Go for three weeks on the next one.

Write down how the SG samples looked and tasted as you go.

I will try that. Is it correct that during primary the total cessation of gas passing through the airlock does not mean it's time to transfer to secondary? That some anaerobic time must occur in primary, not just in secondary?

Thanks!

I will try that. Is it correct that during primary the total cessation of gas passing through the airlock does not mean it's time to transfer to secondary? That some anaerobic time must occur in primary, not just in secondary?

Thanks!
I'm a bad one to ask that question. I rarely use a secondary and will never do one for a wheat beer. Longer primary time will give the yeast time to cleanup by products of fermentation. One especially. The sulfur aroma produced by some Hefe yeasts.

I'll keep a beer in the primary until almost all the CO2 has off gassed. CO2 coming out of solution will suspend hop particles and a lot of excess yeast. Usually takes about three weeks before suspended particles drop out. Then I consider the beer ready to bottle if I have the time.

An extra week in the fermentor won't degrade the beer. I don't know what effects an extra long primary time would have. I've never left a Hefe in the primary longer than four weeks.

I think I may be bottling my beers in a shorter time frame than some who do use a secondary.

I'll keep a beer in the primary until almost all the CO2 has off gassed.

My first few Hefe's were just one week primary and no secondary. I will try the longer primary.

Usually no gas is passing through the air trap at all by day four or five of my primaries. Do you see that continue longer?

Do you ferment in buckets? Buckets often do not seal well. Not forming a perfect seal is not a problem but CO2 can escape at the rim instead of through an airlock. CO2 bubbles can be seen in the SG sample tube when it is present.

I will have activity through the airlock for about 10 to 14 days. I have a brown ale in the primary on day nine. Constant pressure at the airlock and gas release every 30 seconds. Ambient temperature is constant and we are in a low barometric pressure system so I figure this is still CO2 off gassing.

I usually take my first SG sample around day 10. I check the sample for CO2, sediment, and have my first taste.

Edit: The beer hasn't begun to clear yet. Lot of yeast still in suspension.

I've too noticed that "side effect", some batches more than others. How does one "crystal" beer to remove yeast? I'm new to this and don't know such things yet. Thanks.

I just use gelatin fining when I keg it. In Germany, Krystal Weisen is just a Hefeweisen that has been filters.

Back