significant other thinks I have a problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turdhammer

Reaction score
So my wife thinks I have a problem. She just doesn't understand why I make so much alcohol.
Thing is I don't really drink that often. I can count on two hands how many times I drank last year. Now granted when I do I usually have my share. It's not that I have a problem with alcohol or with those that drink it's just that I've gotten to the point in my life where alcohol isn't something that I gravitate towards.
I've done my lions share of drinking mind you, had to be bailed out over it, even tended bar and bounced.
I can't help it, I'm fascinated with yeast, be it bread, wine, beer or mash. The whole "yeast thing" just intrigues me.
In process now I have:
1-5 gallon carboy of Skeeter Pee ageing
1-5 gallon carboy of Pear eau de vie settling
46-12 oz Dark Irish Stout bottle conditioning (get to try it tomorrow)
20 gallons of peach wine fermenting in a garbage can in my kitchen waiting to settle out so I can transfer to carboy
8 gallons of corn mash fermenting to be distilled on Mon.
And if any of the above don't turn out right, through the still it goes.;)

Today at work I disassembled a hard drive for magnets to make a yeast stirrer.
I think the tipping point was when she came home and saw that I reimbursed myself what I spent of my personal Christmas money that I spent on my kids school supplies; with a 70 pound purchase of sugar instead of getting the cash.

Maybe I do have a problem?

You've come to the place where you will be loved and appreciated. I've been wondering for a while why we don't have a distilling section here.

You've come to the place where you will be loved and appreciated. I've been wondering for a while why we don't have a distilling section here.

I think distilling is illegal?? Unless you have permits etc.?

If money is a problem, then don't but anything. If you can spend money and still have plenty left over for savings etc, then have fun.

If the wife just wants the money for herself to buy shoes, purses, jewelry, etc, that's just like any other woman I know in this area, then she's probably just going to steal it from you anyway, and lie about it... Ya I've had some bad relationships with woman that steal money from you, lol.

Keep brewing man!

Distillling is illegal in the United States. Talk about it isn't allowed here as a result.
If you're buying a 70# bag of sugar for making alcohol that's a lot more than the average person on here is using/fermenting.

Folks, I think the OP is asking some legitimate and serious questions about his home, and if this turns into a discussion about distilling, the thread might get locked without us helping the OP.

There is a similar thread on beeradvocate.com. There is a difference between having an alcohol problem and getting into the process of brewing. One can be a health risk, the other a relationship risk. In both cases ask yourself if this hobby is detrimental to any part of your life. Does this hobby keep you from being productive at work, diminishing the quality of your personal relationships, tap into your finances more than you are aware of? As with anything, I think the key is moderation. I wish you well.
Susie

I think distilling is illegal?? Unless you have permits etc.?

If money is a problem, then don't but anything. If you can spend money and still have plenty left over for savings etc, then have fun.

If the wife just wants the money for herself to buy shoes, purses, jewelry, etc, that's just like any other woman I know in this area, then she's probably just going to steal it from you anyway, and lie about it... Ya I've had some bad relationships with woman that steal money from you, lol.

Keep brewing man!

Money is no issue, post meant more toungue in cheek.
I'm lucky enough to have a loving supporting wife of 19 years that has always just let me do my thing.
More of a "anyone else love this hobbie as much" post.

The whole distilling issue is a non-issue when one does jump through all the government hoops.
I personnaly don't think a distilling section is appropriate for this site. Most aren't willing to jump through said hoops so it does create a potential problem for this site.
Just mentioned it as an example of the depth of my dedication to the yeast is all.
It's all good folks.

If you only drink occasionally,why do you brew so much (other than the fun of it)? That's a lot of wine & beer to put away for a rainy day. Maybe that's what she's at odds with?

JonM said:
Folks, I think the OP is asking some legitimate and serious questions about his home, and if this turns into a discussion about distilling, the thread might get locked without us helping the OP.

I apologize for my ignorance on the distilling issue. You will not hear anymore from me about it.

My spouse also thinks I am obsessed, probably/possibly have a problem. When it takes months, or even years(for good wine), having a lot going even though you don't drink that much, might seem like going overboard to an outsider. I even got my own doctor into homebrewing and hubby was all huffy, puffy after he went with me to one of my appointments. When the good doctor and I got into a discussion about making beer, he was asking advice about equipment, I could almost hear hubby rolling his eyes.

Money is no issue, post meant more toungue in cheek.
I'm lucky enough to have a loving supporting wife of 19 years that has always just let me do my thing.
More of a "anyone else love this hobbie as much" post.

The whole distilling issue is a non-issue when one does jump through all the government hoops.
I personnaly don't think a distilling section is appropriate for this site. Most aren't willing to jump through said hoops so it does create a potential problem for this site.
Just mentioned it as an example of the depth of my dedication to the yeast is all.
It's all good folks.

So what are these hoops you've allegedly jumped through?

Rick

I'd ask,

Are ya happy?

Because if ya are, life's way to short to be anything else.

Cheers!

Ken

So what are these hoops you've allegedly jumped through?

Rick

Missouri law 311.055 as defined in 311.120

All of which are trumped by federal law covered in the TTB website under 27 CFR Part 19 which will list the bulk of the hoops.

This is all information that is easily found with a simple search if one is so inclined.

A good visual example of what's required can be seen on a rescent episode of Moonshiners, Tim visits a small distiller and he shows him the stacks of forms.

Let me ask, is your wifes issue with how much alcohol you drink
a16.jpg

Let me ask, is your wifes issue with how much alcohol you drink
a16.jpg

As I stated in my second post, my wife has no issue with my consumption or the amount I produce ( which is freely shared). It's more of a lack of understanding my fascination with the hobby.
Just as how I can't understand the attraction to golf, hit a ball and chase it, I personnaly don't get it. Wish I did.
A hobby which you can drink or eat, now that's more my style.

As I stated in my second post, my wife has no issue with my consumption or the amount I produce ( which is freely shared). It's more of a lack of understanding my fascination with the hobby.
Just as how I can't understand the attraction to golf, hit a ball and chase it, I personnaly don't get it. Wish I did.
A hobby which you can drink or eat, now that's more my style.

Golf carts- make them go sideways... that's why we do it because it makes it more fun! :p

It's more of a lack of understanding my fascination with the hobby.

Same here, hubby doesn't understand why I am so fascinated/obsessed/passionate about it. And I don't understand his fascination with old tractors!!! The brewing process and so much to learn about it... something you could study for a lifetime and still not know everything about it. This is what captivates my attention. A hobby that never gets boring because their is always so much more knowledge to gain. Yeast is my hero.

Same here, hubby doesn't understand why I am so fascinated/obsessed/passionate about it. And I don't understand his fascination with old tractors!!! The brewing process and so much to learn about it... something you could study for a lifetime and still not know everything about it. This is what captivates my attention. A hobby that never gets boring because their is always so much more knowledge to gain. Yeast is my hero.

What an eloquent answer. Worthy of a like.

[

My wife is fine with my drinking and brewing. What bugs her is that I am free with my beer and give it away all the time. I like sharing my beer with my friends and honestly I will keep on doing it. Just the way I was raised I guess

Latest posts

Back