Mash Temperature Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cregan13

Reaction score
Hi,
I am having some problems acheiving and maintaining temperature during the mash. Does anyone know where I could find a chart or some information on the best way to go about acheiving the desired temps? That is to say, X amount of water at X temp added to X amount of grain will yield a mash temperature of Y. And then going to higher steps during a decoction mash without having to return the mash to the stove.
I am currently using a propane burner as a heating element and gatorade style cooler as a mash tun.

Thanks for your help.

You can use the Green Bay Rackers tool which is very good for strike temperature. I use it all the time. Maintaining the temperature is another matter though if you use a cooler. You may have to put a blanket on the top or wrap it for better insulation. GreenBayRackersMashCalc

The calcs are included in BeerSmith (which is a great tool to have regardless). I just know from experience to add 2° to their calculations (for my setup), and I'm USUALLY balls-on.

Try preheating your Mash Tun by adding the hot water first and letting it sit for a few minutes before you add the grain. I keep a note book of the approx. grain temp and the temp of my brew barn.

As an example in the winter I might put 175*F water in the Mash Tun and let it sit for 10 minutes, the temp might drop 5*F, then add the grain and the temp might drop another 15*F which is 3*f too high, once all the grain is in I'm ready with some cold water if I need to drop the temp a few degrees.

It's much easier to start with the mash temp. that's a little high. Because it can be quickly and easily cooled down with cold water. But it's difficult and time consuming to try to heat a too cold mash up.

Here's why if your mash is 145*F adding a gal. of 200*F water the difference in temp is only 55*F. But if your mash is 157*F adding gal. of 40*F water will make a much bigger change because the difference in temp. is 117*F or more that 2X the temp. differential between adding hot water or cold water.

If your Mash Tun is not holding the temp that's another problem. And the best thing you can do about that is get a better Mash Tun.

Back