I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for teeth.....I fu#$ ing hate the dentist. Seriously, I would rather go in for open heart surgery before getting a tooth yanked out or a filling.

Took a nap, then hauled out all of my fermenters for cleaning and sanitizing. I assembled and pitched my Winexpert Merlot kit today. The ingredients for my next two beers from NB are due in tomorrow.

I already miss the SWMBO but having the house to myself for two weeks is golden. I am looking forward to a great night of sleep so I can launch into all the repairs and projects I have been needing to do. I'll probably make a trip into Boston and check out the brewpubs sometime this weekend.

I'm sorry, but are you part shark? Maybe that's why channel cat tastes like lobster to you. Sorry, couldn't help it. Glad you're having fun. My homebrew club camp out is this weekend. Probably just a 6 hr detour to stop by for the low country boil saturday.

Enough with the dental talk! I'm not as bad off as poor Stauff, but I've got a semi-impacted wisdom tooth and broken incisor I'm getting pulled Monday and I'm about 120% not looking forward to it.

That's one plus from having a big mouth. All four wisdom teeth in with room to spare! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you'd started hanging out in this thread yet last time I got drunk and went on a Tarantino soundtrack binge. I don't think you've hit what I think is his best film and definitely his best soundtrack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWOsijt0wgY

You beat me to it :). Sweet.

And I am not quite drunk yet. But I am working on it.

Thanks! I've had dry socket before, and it hurts like he!!...

I got a quote on that for $10,000.00 here. The only problem (aside from price) is my gum disease could still be an issue with implants, I believe.

That's one plus from having a big mouth. All four wisdom teeth in with room to spare! :D
The last time I went to the dentist I had seven teeth removed at the same time. All four wisdom teeth, two that were broken off, and an abscessed molar.

I then spent two weeks stoned on pain killers. On the up side, I managed to quit smoking during those two weeks.

You know what else is sweet? This.
giant-oreo-split.jpeg

I have decided I must make one of these.

There was a downside? Sounds like better living through chemistry to me.
The downside was spending two weeks stoned on pain killers. I couldn't concentrate. I felt like a moron the whole time.

The other downside was the withdrawal after the two weeks. It's a good thing I don't know where to get pain killers on the black market, or I'd have gotten more...
My pancreas just twitched. Does this come with a complementary syringe of insulin?
Hahaha
PB070176.jpg

Sounds like a blessing to me. In moderation, of course. I need to try making your coffee wine sometime...I don't think the local animal control gets enough excitement.
Sure, in moderation. Spending two weeks not being able to really think really just pissed me off.

Yeah, a bottle or two of coffee wine can make for an interesting night. :D

Sure, in moderation. Spending two weeks not being able to really think really just pissed me off.

I can see that. More often than not I'd like my brain to just shut the **** up, please. My brain is usually my biggest impediment to my happiness, and anything I can do to shut it down for a while is a plus.

My students all thought it would be a gas if I came in to teach all wound up on 4-Loco. They were unfortunately disappointed.

I can see that. More often than not I'd like my brain to just shut the **** up, please. My brain is usually my biggest impediment to my happiness, and anything I can do to shut it down for a while is a plus.

My students all thought it would be a gas if I came in to teach all wound up on 4-Loco. They were unfortunately disappointed.

I've been trying not to think ever since I got what I thought was a good grasp on the world. Not a very nice place and thinking about it very much makes me unhappy. So I give myself little puzzles like what sort of bio-transformative properties different yeast strains have with different grains, hops, and fruits to keep myself on the sunny side.

I've been trying not to think ever since I got what I thought was a good grasp on the world. Not a very nice place and thinking about it very much makes me unhappy. So I give myself little puzzles like what sort of bio-transformative properties different yeast strains have with different grains, hops, and fruits to keep myself on the sunny side.

That's the key to life...productive distraction. It's easy to get bummed, it takes some work to find something productive and engaging. I get down by the state of humanity but that doesn't mean that there isn't good work to be done.

That's the key to life...productive distraction. It's easy to get bummed, it takes some work to find something productive and engaging. I get down by the state of humanity but that doesn't mean that there isn't good work to be done.

I've started watching Reservoir Dogs. Actually, just the restaurant scene about 5 times looking for a quote. Toby?

I got George Fix's Princles of Brewing Science today. Some of is hard to follow, like the section between the title page and the index. I need to brush up on my chemistry. Maybe a MOOC corse?

I got George Fix's Princles of Brewing Science today. Some of is hard to follow, like the section between the title page and the index. I need to brush up on my chemistry. Maybe a MOOC corse?

Hey LRb, chemistry and microbiology is something we all need to brush up on. We're brewers!

Glad you got a chance to quench your thirst after that long talk.

Just watched Days of Thunder for the first time. Robert Duvall and Tom Cruise. Say what you want about TC, he never makes a bad movie. Robert Duvall, hm niether.

Also want to say, Mike sorry you have to let go a good set of chompers but happy you're going to be able to give up the pain killers and start livng life again

LG.. Great fix on the phone. I have a Jeep with 225K on it. I occasionally need to fix things on it and it's good as new. Great feeling. Cheers for you :mug:

Beaks, sorry to hear about your mishap. Truly wish you a speedy recovery my friend. Wish I could take Pappy's advice when I get randomly drug tested for work.. "Do I bring my own or do you provide?" (or something like that)

:pipe:

I'm sorry, but are you part shark? Maybe that's why channel cat tastes like lobster to you. Sorry, couldn't help it. Glad you're having fun. My homebrew club camp out is this weekend. Probably just a 6 hr detour to stop by for the low country boil saturday.

Enough with the dental talk! I'm not as bad off as poor Stauff, but I've got a semi-impacted wisdom tooth and broken incisor I'm getting pulled Monday and I'm about 120% not looking forward to it.
I don't like dental work either. My dentist says I'm one of only two patients he's ever seen where lidocaine injections simply do not work. I now get put under whenever feasible.

You know what else is sweet? This.

I have decided I must make one of these.
I would put ice cream in the middle.

The downside was spending two weeks stoned on pain killers. I couldn't concentrate. I felt like a moron the whole time.

The other downside was the withdrawal after the two weeks. It's a good thing I don't know where to get pain killers on the black market, or I'd have gotten more...

Hahaha
You really shouldn't be dealing with withdrawals after only two weeks. If it was more than just some sort of placebo effect, consider yourself very fortunate that they were almost certainly on the very mild end of the spectrum.

I've been on very heavy painkillers (large dose Dilaudid) for the past 3.5 years, for a facial nerve issue. I occasionally get a bit of brain fog still, but I manage.

Study history it's never been a nice place. My take is start with yourself and go with a "butterfly effect" but there shall always be those that believe they are above others. So be the person you wish the rest of the world should be and keep sanity in check with that:D

Howdy friends!

I hope you're all doing well this Friday afternoon.

I'm having a good day today. It's the first day in about 3 weeks that I haven't needed to take pain killers for my toothaches. For whatever reason they just aren't hurting today, and I won't question it.

I spent the day processing granny smith apples that I picked from my backyard yesterday. I made 7.25 gallons of low gravity juice that will be boiled down to 5 gallons for a batch of hard cider. With the leftover pulp I made a few jars of applesauce. The applesauce will come in handy after I see my dentist ;)

IMG-20130814-00143.jpg

IMG-20130814-00142.jpg

IMG-20130816-00145.jpg

IMG-20130816-00144.jpg

Howdy friends!

I hope you're all doing well this Friday afternoon.

I'm having a good day today. It's the first day in about 3 weeks that I haven't needed to take pain killers for my toothaches. For whatever reason they just aren't hurting today, and I won't question it.

I spent the day processing granny smith apples that I picked from my backyard yesterday. I made 7.25 gallons of low gravity juice that will be boiled down to 5 gallons for a batch of hard cider. With the leftover pulp I made a few jars of applesauce. The applesauce will come in handy after I see my dentist ;)

Glad you are not in pain. How do you process the apples?

Glad you are not in pain. How do you process the apples?

Thanks LRB!

After I peel, slice, and core the apples I let them sit out for a while so they will oxidize a little. Then I bag them up and freeze them overnight. The next day they get thawed and boiled in just enough water to cover them up. Then I lauter the whole mess through my MLT. This leaves me with a gravity of about 1.020 since I use so much water. The apple flavor is very strong, but the sugar content is too low for cider. That's why I make a lot and boil it down. I also add brown sugar to increase the gravity and dry it out during fermentation. It leaves me with an abv of about 5.5-6%. It makes a very tasty cider. You can really taste the freshness of the homegrown apples. Next year I might actually make a large apple press, so I can forgo the two boiling processes.

Then I scoop the pulp out of the MLT and heat it with brown sugar and spices to make the applesauce. Then process the jars in hot water to pasteurize.

Thanks LRB!

After I peel, slice, and core the apples I let them sit out for a while so they will oxidize a little. Then I bag them up and freeze them overnight. The next day they get thawed and boiled in just enough water to cover them up. Then I lauter the whole mess through my MLT. This leaves me with a gravity of about 1.020 since I use so much water. The apple flavor is very strong, but the sugar content is too low for cider. That's why I make a lot and boil it down. I also add brown sugar to increase the gravity and dry it out during fermentation. It leaves me with an abv of about 5.5-6%. It makes a very tasty cider. You can really taste the freshness of the homegrown apples. Next year I might actually make a large apple press, so I can forgo the two boiling processes.

Then I scoop the pulp out of the MLT and heat it with brown sugar and spices to make the applesauce. Then process the jars in hot water to pasteurize.

Sounds delicious and work/time intensive. My grandma would cook the applesauce down til thick then cut 5 inch circles of pie crust dough scoop 1/3 -1/4 cup of apple mixture fold in 1/2 wet the edges and press seal them with a fork. Bake til lightly brown she called them hand pies I believe that it's a tart variation.

Sounds delicious and work/time intensive. My grandma would cook the applesauce down til thick then cut 5 inch circles of pie crust dough scoop 1/3 -1/4 cup of apple mixture fold in 1/2 wet the edges and press seal them with a fork. Bake til lightly brown she called them hand pies I believe that it's a tart variation.

It is a lot of work, but it's worth it. The actual brew day is about the same amount of time as an all grain beer brew day, but that doesn't include peeling/coring/slicing the apples. I'd say it took about 2 hours to peel the apples for this batch.

Your grandmother's hand pies sound delicious. Around here (being on the Mexican border) we call those Empanadas, but I believe they are deep fried vs. being baked. Thanks to you for putting the idea in my head I will now be making some! :ban: :rockin:

Very nice apple harvest! I have three trees in my backyard. One makes a killer apple wine. I can't even drink it...it's like a tequilla drunk compared to a beer drunk... Anyway, that poor tree is suffering from the weight right now. It will be at least a hundred pound harvest. Last batch, I used Yoopers crabapple wine recipe and everyone loved it. I just freeze/thaw them crush them and throw it all in a bucket to ferment. The only pains I took was to remove the stems. I hope you didn't peel all those apples and leave the stems on:) Good luck with the cider.

Very nice apple harvest! I have three trees in my backyard. One makes a killer apple wine. I can't even drink it...it's like a tequilla drunk compared to a beer drunk... Anyway, that poor tree is suffering from the weight right now. It will be at least a hundred pound harvest. Last batch, I used Yoopers crabapple wine recipe and everyone loved it. I just freeze/thaw them crush them and throw it all in a bucket to ferment. The only pains I took was to remove the stems. I hope you didn't peel all those apples and leave the stems on:) Good luck with the cider.

Wow, I bet I had close to 100 lbs off of just my one tree, and it's a dwarf. Although, it's huge for a dwarf. It was also straining with the weight. It's funny you mention the "tequila drunk" , because I've noticed that my apple cider hits me harder than beer for some strange reason. That doesn't really make sense, since it's only around 5.5% ABV. Your idea of just adding all of the crushed fruit to the bucket intrigues me. It sounds way easier. The only problem I imagine is you get a huge amount of liquid loss to the spent fruit. I made a batch with this same method last year, and it came out fantastic. I get more compliments on it than I do on beer (and I think I make fairly good beer :cross:). I did indeed peel and core the apples. So, no stems...

Wow, I bet I had close to 100 lbs off of just my one tree, and it's a dwarf. Although, it's huge for a dwarf. It was also straining with the weight. It's funny you mention the "tequila drunk" , because I've noticed that my apple cider hits me harder than beer for some strange reason. That doesn't really make sense, since it's only around 5.5% ABV. Your idea of just adding all of the crushed fruit to the bucket intrigues me. It sounds way easier. The only problem I imagine is you get a huge amount of liquid loss to the spent fruit. I made a batch with this same method last year, and it came out fantastic. I get more compliments on it than I do on beer (and I think I make fairly good beer :cross:). I did indeed peel and core the apples. So, no stems...

My tree is a "mutt". They taste like Granny Smith though. Our apples are much smaller here in the UP:

thumb2_apple-60797.jpg

I put the fruit in a mesh bag and pressed that when it was all good and mushy. I will have a glass of apple wine but will NEVER drink a whole bottle again:drunk:

My tree is a "mutt". They taste like Granny Smith though. Our apples are much smaller here in the UP:

thumb2_apple-60797.jpg

I put the fruit in a mesh bag and pressed that when it was all good and mushy. I will have a glass of apple wine but will NEVER drink a whole bottle again:drunk:

Those are indeed small! Some of mine are so large they won't work on the peeler/corer/slicer machine. Those are the ones I've been giving to friends and family.

I have a young peach tree with so many peaches on it that branches are breaking, which really sucks!

Those are indeed small! Some of mine are so large they won't work on the peeler/corer/slicer machine. Those are the ones I've been giving to friends and family.

I have a young peach tree with so many peaches on it that branches are breaking, which really sucks!

If I peeled them, there would be nothing left;)

I am jealous of your climate. Peaches are far too smart to live around here. You could send me some...

If I peeled them, there would be nothing left;)

I am jealous of your climate. Peaches are far too smart to live around here. You could send me some...

Yeah, I can see how you wouldn't want to peel those. Last year I didn't peel or core. I just removed stems. It worked fine, but afterwards the pulp was useless being full of seeds. This year I wanted to use the leftover pulp for applesauce, so I decided on the extra work of peeling and coring.

When my peaches are ready I'd be happy to send you a box full. I'm not sure how they would fare during shipping, but I'm more than willing to try. I'm still not sure if they will taste very good, since the tree is technically a wild shoot. If they're good I'll let you know.

Back