I believe I created a monster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Csolti

Reaction score
7.2 lbs Light Malt Extract
2.5 lbs Honey
7 Oz Brown Sugar
1 lbs Flaked Rye (Steeped at 155 for 30 minutes)
.5 lbs Caramel 40 (Steeped at 155 for 30 minutes)
.5 lbs Caramel 80 (Steeped at 155 for 30 minutes)
2 Oz Melodian (Steeped at 155 for 30 minutes)
1 Oz Smoked Cherrywood Malt (Steeped at 155 for 30 minutes)
1 Gram Paradise Seed
1 Ounce Juniper Berries
1 Ounce Ginger
2 Sticks Cinnamon
2 Oz Rosemary
2 Oz Sage
2 Oz Sarsaparilla (Steeped in 1 gallon seperatly and added to Carboy)

1 Ounce Perle Hops (60)
.5 Ounce Saaz (30)
.5 Ounce Saaz (Aroma)

Belgian Abbey II Yeast

My friend was over and we have brewed together before and I guess we were both bored with Malt, Hops, Yeast and decided to go a little crazy. And I had been reading old books on brewing from the 18th century so we decided it was time to do something different. I... am not sure how it will turn out in the end (it's been in primary for 3 days now, extremely vigorous fermentation). OG was 1.100.

I had never used Paradise seed before. Anyways; I'll post an update when it all settles out and I age and bottle it (probably a longer aging for this batch).

Interesting. This looks like it might take some time to let all those flavors mellow out. Let me know what happens.

Having looked through a number of ancient ale recipes, I am most curious about the balance of spices to the buttering/aroma/ flavor hops. I would assume the spices could act as all three, so I eagerly await an update on how the flavors balanced! Having brewed with sage before, I can defiantly say that herb is fickle!

Yea it's going to be aged for awhile. And the Rosemary and sage were not dried, they were fresh and added for the 60 minute duration of the boil.

I assume you're going to bottle this to age it? If so, I'd like to do an exchange with you at some point down the road.

Back