Brewing as a service

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erroneous

Reaction score
I'm curious as to whether or not I could either A) have someone pay for the grain bill and ingredients and I take a couple packs out of finished product as my personal "fee" or B) have someone pay for the grain bill and ingredients plus a couple bucks as my "fee". Anyone know if either of these would be legal?

Is a 5 hour brew day, cleaning, fermenting, cleaning bottles, bottling and 3-4 weeks of your time really worth a few bucks on the side?

I'd say your best bet is A, but id say you pay the yeast/grain/hops ill make you 36 bottels. But you make a 5 gallon batch and keep 12 for yourself without telling them so no one is being charged a "fee." I don't think that would hold up in court though, so be carefull you brew for.

Dry your spent grain. Turn that into flower. Make spent grain cookies and brownies. Sell them at a farmer's market.

OR

Donate plasma x2 a week.

This is in no way illegal and you will make more money doing this than what you are trying to do.

Why don't you rip the tags off some mattresses while you're at it?

True enough, I'm not really worried. Basically just want to start offering my friends my services without completely footing the bill. I like the process so much I'd be fine doing it pro bono provided I can still get some of the beer (situation A). I don't think B would come near to paying for my hobby, though I like Zamial's idea of the flour, though I'd go the easy route and just do to dog biscuits my dog loves. When I first started brewing, everyone was asking if I'd be selling it (which I said not legally).

True enough, I'm not really worried. Basically just want to start offering my friends my services without completely footing the bill. I like the process so much I'd be fine doing it pro bono provided I can still get some of the beer (situation A). I don't think B would come near to paying for my hobby, though I like Zamial's idea of the flour, though I'd go the easy route and just do to dog biscuits my dog loves. When I first started brewing, everyone was asking if I'd be selling it (which I said not legally).

If I could find a sucker, er, ahm, I mean a good home brewer, who would make my beer for me, and all I'd have to do is tip them a couple of 6 packs, I would certainly do that. Especially an All Grain brewer since the cost would be lower.
I pay $25, you give me 38 bottles of good beer, thats 67 cents a bottle, with no work, no clean up, no hassle. Since you are brewing at your place, no mess here.

Come on over :mug:

I have beer. Y'all get pizza.

Who is buying the fight? I'll bring beer.

Since the kegs and smoker are already at my place why doesn't somebody bring some meat over here?

The list could go on and on.

I have offered select close friends the option of brewing at my place, given that they buy ingredients, help with brew day & bottling, and that I keep 12 of whatever they chose to make. I see no legal issue with this, it's not sale, its just cooperation. I enjoy brewing, but don't necessarily even want the full 48 of whatever they may choose (belgains, hefe, etc)

I'd say your best bet would be to just do it and not post on the internet that you're doing so. A) Nobody is going to know and thus, B) Nobody will care.

Just like the eisbier legality discussion: just do it and shut up about it.

Just like the eisbier legality discussion

There is no discussion, it is 100% legal to do...unless you live in a state/country that limits the ABV% you can brew.

I also would not recommend advising people to do illegal activities...but that's me...

idk, was thinking about putting an ad on craigslist ;) And I think it might be illegal to give homebrew to friends anyway if they didn't brew it, but nobody cares. I'm sure there isn't some cop in Orlando whose mom was killed by a homebrewer that is just patrolling the net for homebrewers trying to get away with being cheap. Now if I sat outside of clubs downtown with a cart full of tasty brew selling at $2 a pop, I'm sure I'd get busted.

Erroneous said:
idk, was thinking about putting an ad on craigslist ;) And I think it might be illegal to give homebrew to friends anyway if they didn't brew it, but nobody cares. I'm sure there isn't some cop in Orlando whose mom was killed by a homebrewer that is just patrolling the net for homebrewers trying to get away with being cheap. Now if I sat outside of clubs downtown with a cart full of tasty brew selling at $2 a pop, I'm sure I'd get busted.

I don't think there are any restrictions besides drinking age regulating who can drink your homebrew. Some states limit transportation. Nothing says they can't drink at your place.

I think the laws on this vary from state to state, But as a general rule you cant Sell home brewed beer without a proper Government permit, but if your friends want to buy the grain, you brew the beer and give them the beer FREE i dont think you would be breaking any laws, but that depends on your State and Local laws.

How about they buy you a new fermenter. They get the first batch and you keep the fermenter. Fairly even trade if you are looking for more fermenter space.

Latest posts

Back