Any brewers in the Conway Area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How big of a starter do you normally pitch?

Varies a lot depending on the OG of the beer and how much yeast I'm starting with. If I start with a fresh smack pack or vial, I usually make a gallon for a 10 gallon batch, if it's a high gravity beer I would step that up too. I save a lot of yeast, and I buy a lot of dry to avoid making big starters. Sometimes for 10 gallon batches, I use 2 different yeast strains since I split them into separate buckets anyway.

Stuck at work tonight wishing I was at home putting a fire to the kettle......

Thinking about brewing an "Arkansas Common" for my bud's wedding next month. I just don't have any Rye at the moment.

Stuck at work tonight wishing I was at home putting a fire to the kettle......

Thinking about brewing an "Arkansas Common" for my bud's wedding next month. I just don't have any Rye at the moment.

Just thinking it's too quiet on our thread! :rockin:

Did you make the Arkansas Common? What will the recipe be?

I'm cold crashing a West Coast Red and about to add gelatin to it...my first try at that...then I'll leave it in to fridge for a few more days and bottle it. I also have a Caramel Amber that ready to bottle, and an Irish Red, and the Blueberry Ale, once you decide how we need to handle it. :confused: That will only leave my Nugget IPA/APA to finish fermenting and I'll need to brew several new batches... :mug:

Just thinking it's too quiet on our thread! :rockin:

Did you make the Arkansas Common? What will the recipe be?

I'm cold crashing a West Coast Red and about to add gelatin to it...my first try at that...then I'll leave it in to fridge for a few more days and bottle it. I also have a Caramel Amber that ready to bottle, and an Irish Red, and the Blueberry Ale, once you decide how we need to handle it. :confused: That will only leave my Nugget IPA/APA to finish fermenting and I'll need to brew several new batches... :mug:

Oh man just uhhh....dump the blueberry beer, trying to convince my wife and the company to not drink anymore just to keep from hurting my feelings tonight, but they insist. hehe Below is a photo of my cousin drinking some from a keg pour.

Yeah I've been in St. Louis over the weekend, NO craft beer there, I did tour AB though, it was a blast and very interesting. 3,600 bbl tanks are BIG! See if you can guess what my favorite part of the tour was.....

The Arkansas Common is going to be somewhat like a Kentucky Common but I'm not going to brew a very dark beer, instead something more light and refreshing. I have some Rye and Fuggles, maybe add a touch of Victory even. I am going to pitch a lager yeast and ferment it at warmer temps, and I'll add some American oak chips too. We'll see what happens. The goal is to make something more similar to what a moonshiner or bourbon maker would have made here in Arkansas during the mid to late 1800s.

I also picked up the stuff to brew a sour when I was at The Water Buffalo.

You should be able to bottle the blueberry whenever your ready. The one I kegged today was fermented with 05, but I have another 5 gallons sitting around that has Irish Ale. You won't believe this but, it has a pretty strong blueberry flavor after all.

That red ale sounds pretty interesting, I like those quite a bit actually. Haven't used gelatin in a long time, I do use polyclar from time to time though. Gelatin works good though, and it's cheap and easy to find.

I don't go back to work til Friday so if you wanna brew let me know!

Hope everyone is doing well, Happy Brewing!

blueblue.jpg

clock.jpg

clydes.jpg

clydes2.jpg

trucks.jpg

towerlines.jpg

test.jpg

stack.jpg

mash1.jpg

AB.jpg

Looks like you had a great time! cool...
I'll bet the blueberry with Irish yeast is good...
This west coast red has been a beer to remember...brewed it here and then took the wort to brewday in Fort smith the next day. Didn't hit my FG after almost a month, so I dropped about a teaspoon of AE and it bubbled for 5 or 6 days...dropped from 1.022 to 1.012. First time I tried that. Now I'm doing a cold crash and gelatin for the first time. I figure 4 or 5 days and then I'll bottle it.

Yeah I've been in St. Louis over the weekend, NO craft beer there, I did tour AB though, it was a blast and very interesting. 3,600 bbl tanks are BIG! See if you can guess what my favorite part of the tour was.....

The wife and I are planning on taking the kids to St. Louis one weekend. We've done the AB tour before and while I don't care for there beer it is a pretty cool tour. Lots of history there. Plus the horses.
Not sure if you were joking about there being no craft beer there. I'm planning on visiting Perennial Artisan Ales and Side Project. I'm really excited about Side Project. It was started by the head brewer at Perennial. They do nothing but sours.
Kegged my latest DIPA last night. 1lb of Falconer's Flight went into that 5gal batch. I was really happy with the hydro sample. Can't wait to try it in a few days.

Looks like you had a great time! cool...
I'll bet the blueberry with Irish yeast is good...
This west coast red has been a beer to remember...brewed it here and then took the wort to brewday in Fort smith the next day. Didn't hit my FG after almost a month, so I dropped about a teaspoon of AE and it bubbled for 5 or 6 days...dropped from 1.022 to 1.012. First time I tried that. Now I'm doing a cold crash and gelatin for the first time. I figure 4 or 5 days and then I'll bottle it.

What's AE? I could have used that trick on my DIPA. It finished to high.

What's AE? I could have used that trick on my DIPA. It finished to high.

Amylase enzyme, it can break down some residual carbohydrates in some cases. Be careful about bottling if you use it though. Make sure your FG is steady.

They do have some craft beer, and I was wanting to visit some other breweries but the wife wanted to see the Arch and Zoo, we ran out of time. It's a great place for a quick getaway, and not a long drive either. At Busch Stadium craft beer was impossible to find. We had an all inclusive package, beer and food until the end of the 7th.

Haven't tried that hop yet, "yet" keyword there. A pound man I like it already!

Some more eye candy, including a photo of Busch while they were playing the Tigers from the Arch, 631 ft in the air!

arch.jpg

game.jpg

side.jpg

nacho.jpg

buscharch.jpg

Amylase enzyme, it can break down some residual carbohydrates in some cases. Be careful about bottling if you use it though. Make sure your FG is steady.

They do have some craft beer, and I was wanting to visit some other breweries but the wife wanted to see the Arch and Zoo, we ran out of time. It's a great place for a quick getaway, and not a long drive either. At Busch Stadium craft beer was impossible to find. We had an all inclusive package, beer and food until the end of the 7th.

Haven't tried that hop yet, "yet" keyword there. A pound man I like it already!

Some more eye candy, including a photo of Busch while they were playing the Tigers from the Arch, 631 ft in the air!

Thanks for the info! I'll have to try it next time. I very rarely bottle. I hate bottling! :mug:

Looks like you had a great time.
We are planning on hitting up the zoo and probably Grants Farm. Can't wait to get away for a weekend.

I'd be down for a HB swap if you want to try it. I make it to Conway at least once a month if you ever want to meet up.

Thanks for the info! I'll have to try it next time. I very rarely bottle. I hate bottling! :mug:

Looks like you had a great time.
We are planning on hitting up the zoo and probably Grants Farm. Can't wait to get away for a weekend.

I'd be down for a HB swap if you want to try it. I make it to Conway at least once a month if you ever want to meet up.

Your welcome to anything I brew, I make it to Conway several times a month so just give me an idea of when you'll be around. It is harder when I'm working but I can usually find time.

Be sure and set aside at least half a day for the zoo, I did not anticipate it being that big.

Hey guys! Haven't been on in a while... Baseball has become a seven day a week thing lately. But I am fixing to do a citra session and my IPA in the next few days! Cheers!!

Hey guys! Haven't been on in a while... Baseball has become a seven day a week thing lately. But I am fixing to do a citra session and my IPA in the next few days! Cheers!!

yum... I've had the commercial Citra A$$ Down and the NB Karma Citra... it's an awesome hops...

Probably my favorite super hoppy beer has been Green Flash Road Warrior Imperial/Double IPA which is a 9% ABV Rye using Mosaic and Columbus... Eric has tried it... :)

yum... I've had the commercial Citra A$$ Down and the NB Karma Citra... it's an awesome hops...

Probably my favorite super hoppy beer has been Green Flash Road Warrior Imperial/Double IPA which is a 9% ABV Rye using Mosaic and Columbus... Eric has tried it... :)

Well I plan to give it a go Friday so I am keeping my fingers crossed!!!

Go the Arkansas Common brewed!

Tonight I'm having an ice cold.........watermelon smoothie. Haha, sorry to disappoint guys, but gotta work in the AM. Does have me wondering about a watermelon beer though.

commoncommon.jpg

Go the Arkansas Common brewed!

Tonight I'm having an ice cold.........watermelon smoothie. Haha, sorry to disappoint guys, but gotta work in the AM. Does have me wondering about a watermelon beer though.

Sounds like a fun brew! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Yeah trust me it's only a smoothie, but a good smoothie. I made that description for the label to put on the bottle since it's for my buddies wedding. It's sort of the "back" label, the front one has an engagement photo and stuff.

Yeah trust me it's only a smoothie, but a good smoothie. I made that description for the label to put on the bottle since it's for my buddies wedding. It's sort of the "back" label, the front one has an engagement photo and stuff.

speaking of a smoothie... bottled the blueberry ale and it looked like a grape smoothie! :(

It tastes like blueberry, trust me, and I don't just mean a little bit either.

I got the Thermoworks ordered. I've got to get a hole in my lid so that I can solder a nipple on, to keep the probe off the bottom of the pot since my pot is 19 inches. I'm also going to build a 12 volt power supply out of an old computer power supply so that I can whirlpool with a pump and cool my wort much faster, I'm too cheap for the 110v pumps so going to get a 12 volt model.

speaking of a smoothie... bottled the blueberry ale and it looked like a grape smoothie! :(

You haven't had any problems with your probe poking a hole in your bag have you? The end seems pretty sharp. Was thinking of putting a wine cork on the end or something? Either way I freakin love this thermometer!

You haven't had any problems with your probe poking a hole in your bag have you? The end seems pretty sharp. Was thinking of putting a wine cork on the end or something? Either way I freakin love this thermometer!

I'm glad you agree with me about the thermometer. :ban:

I have never had a problem...used it for maybe 10 batches with the bag so far...did one yesterday... :) It was my Cathy's APA but I used Notty instead of US-05 and have it fermenting at 64* Made the same recipe 3 days ago using the US-05... it will be my comparison... :rockin:

I'm glad you agree with me about the thermometer. :ban:

I have never had a problem...used it for maybe 10 batches with the bag so far...did one yesterday... :) It was my Cathy's APA but I used Notty instead of US-05 and have it fermenting at 64* Made the same recipe 3 days ago using the US-05... it will be my comparison... :rockin:

I'll take 05 by a touchdown!

I'll take 05 by a touchdown!

I probably agree but I wanted to use new yeast and used my last pack of US-05 on Wednesday...so I used a pack of Notty... it was either that or T-58 or S-33...I have a couple of packs of each of those... I did get a dozen packs of 05 in the mail today though so I'm good to go!
:tank:

Hey Hillbillies.... It's been a while.... but from catching up on the posts it sounds like you gents are brewing up a storm! Has the Arkansas crested yet? Looks like you folks have had a really wet spring! Looking forward to getting back there in a couple of weeks. It's been almost five months since I was home last (and had a Cold Beer). I have two new 30 Gallon ss pots, a new mash tun, wort chiller, chugger pump and a new brew stand sitting in the garage waiting on me to brew. It's never been fired up so I am looking forward to the inaugural brew session! The son in law built the stand but I have to change out the burner system before I can brew on it. I guess that's the first thing on the list when I arrive... I have Notty, S-05, Cascade, Amarillo and EKG in the freezer. I reckin I'll head to Little Rock and grab some grain and shoot for a All Day IPA clone. Hope all is well back there!!!! Cheers :mug:

Hey Hillbillies.... It's been a while.... but from catching up on the posts it sounds like you gents are brewing up a storm! Has the Arkansas crested yet? Looks like you folks have had a really wet spring! Looking forward to getting back there in a couple of weeks. It's been almost five months since I was home last (and had a Cold Beer). I have two new 30 Gallon ss pots, a new mash tun, wort chiller, chugger pump and a new brew stand sitting in the garage waiting on me to brew. It's never been fired up so I am looking forward to the inaugural brew session! The son in law built the stand but I have to change out the burner system before I can brew on it. I guess that's the first thing on the list when I arrive... I have Notty, S-05, Cascade, Amarillo and EKG in the freezer. I reckin I'll head to Little Rock and grab some grain and shoot for a All Day IPA clone. Hope all is well back there!!!! Cheers :mug:

Man sounds like you got a nice setup waiting on you! I've never seen the Arkansas River this high, except for when I was a kid in 1990, and the hydrograph confirms that this is in fact a record year.

A good brewer such as yourself shouldn't mess with those nasty Amirillo hops....now a guy like me could still be "ok" with e'm......I mean my IPAs aren't any good anyway so it wouldn't matter for me. I mean they go bad so quick too, so I'll come by and pick e'm up from you when you get in ok?? Hehe, the wife actually caught me in a closet with a bag of Amirillo once, I think she only worried because I was stroking it with 2 fingers and kept repeating "The precious" over and over.

I gotta bunch of homebrews to give away guys!

now Eric... :D Which ever one of you makes some IPA with the Amarillo I want to try some... I have tried USG, Fuggle, Target, and just about to bottle some Nugget... never tried others...

Eric... If your giving away Home Brew..... I bet I can be encouraged to hand over some hops. I haven't had a beer in five months.... Heck... I would probably trade the wife for a six pack at this point!

Man sounds like you got a nice setup waiting on you! I've never seen the Arkansas River this high, except for when I was a kid in 1990, and the hydrograph confirms that this is in fact a record year.

A good brewer such as yourself shouldn't mess with those nasty Amirillo hops....now a guy like me could still be "ok" with e'm......I mean my IPAs aren't any good anyway so it wouldn't matter for me. I mean they go bad so quick too, so I'll come by and pick e'm up from you when you get in ok?? Hehe, the wife actually caught me in a closet with a bag of Amirillo once, I think she only worried because I was stroking it with 2 fingers and kept repeating "The precious" over and over.

I gotta bunch of homebrews to give away guys!

I'm sure that was a typo and you meant "They Go Quick".... :drunk:

now Eric... :D Which ever one of you makes some IPA with the Amarillo I want to try some... I have tried USG, Fuggle, Target, and just about to bottle some Nugget... never tried others...

Nah they really are a terrible hop, that's why you can't hardly find them!

I'm sure that was a typo and you meant "They Go Quick".... :drunk:

Yeah they do "go quick" in my house....right into some stockings and to the bottom of a keg! I'd dry hop bottled water with Amarillo if I only had some. I got over 50 gallons of homebrew sitting around so ya you can guys can have all you want.

Wife for a 6 pack...hell that ain't even up there to what it's worth! The 6 pack I mean............

I could see trading my wife for a 6er, but wouldn't trade my guitar, I figure as long as I have a guitar I could always find another wife. Don't tell her that though, hate to find the Gibson in tiny pieces one day after it "fell" while I was at work.

Nah they really are a terrible hop, that's why you can't hardly find them!

Yeah they do "go quick" in my house....right into some stockings and to the bottom of a keg! I'd dry hop bottled water with Amarillo if I only had some. I got over 50 gallons of homebrew sitting around so ya you can guys can have all you want.

Wife for a 6 pack...hell that ain't even up there to what it's worth! The 6 pack I mean............

I could see trading my wife for a 6er, but wouldn't trade my guitar, I figure as long as I have a guitar I could always find another wife. Don't tell her that though, hate to find the Gibson in tiny pieces one day after it "fell" while I was at work.

If you've got plenty of Beer and a Guitar.... all that's really left to achieve happiness is a shotgun, a fishing pole..... and of course... A Good Dog!

Just cracked open my first Rye PA yesterday... Eric, you need to try this one. :ban:

I also just bottled 5g of a trial beer, a Nugget PA... smells like it will be very drinkable in a couple of weeks.

Back