Are my crushed grains any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bastido

Reaction score
I ordered some 2 row and crystal malt grains a couple weeks ago, and had them pre crushed. I just read somewhere that they shouldn't be crushed until you're ready to use.

Help...

They will be fine. Keep cool and dry and such and it is ok.

Remember, some online vendors sell grains that are crushed and it takes a week or more to get to your door.

You are aok.

concur. I milled my grains last Saturday, then had a family issue that cancelled brew day. I put my grains in a plastic sealable bag, tried to get as much air out as possible and originally stored in the freezer. However, the majority of input I got was that since I will be brewing within the next few days, just keep them sealed and dry. I took them out of the freezer for fear of sampling "Slimy Popsicle English Pale Ale".

Just brewed an IPA with grains that were crushed, I guess two months ago. They were in the freezer for a month and then sat in the closet for a month. I tasted a few grains before I used it and it was fine. It brewed up fine, is fermenting fine, and smells great.

Just brewed an IPA with grains that were crushed, I guess two months ago. They were in the freezer for a month and then sat in the closet for a month. I tasted a few grains before I used it and it was fine. It brewed up fine, is fermenting fine, and smells great.

Rick, where in KY are you, if you don't mind me asking? I'm in the capital city.

I'm in Louisville.

I see you're in Frankfort... lots of new Kentuckians here lately. Welcome!

Back