Need ideas...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thekage

Reaction score
7884-kegerator.jpeg

It's huge, it's cold, and it was $200.
I want to put 5 cornys of beer and another of carb'd water, but don't want to pay north of 600 bucks for a 6 tap tower.
So I got the idea of building a box out of walnut and mounting the 6 taps inside the box. I was talking about this to my brewing buddy who is a cabinet maker and he says lets get rid of the tower and sell it and build a whole cabinet and mount the taps in there. Some kind of coffin box but on top of the stainless steel top.
Any thoughts?

So can anyone tell me what kind of shanks i need? Will regular shanks work or do I need the elbow shanks that towers use? I have no real idea and I have searched and see a few build threads but nothing really concise.

So can anyone tell me what kind of shanks i need? Will regular shanks work or do I need the elbow shanks that towers use? I have no real idea and I have searched and see a few build threads but nothing really concise.

You could probably use either, depending on how big of a coffin you build. If its deep enough front to back, then normal shanks could fit.

If you want it to be narrower front to back, then you'd probably have to get the elbow shanks.

do a search "coffin" on HBT..... It will be hours and hours of enjoyable reading and pictures..... ahhhh :)

Hi

What you are talking about is a "coffin tower" or an "Irish coffin tower". They are easy to make. Shanks depend a bit on how you make them, 3" are usually fine.

Bob

Back