3 hops... suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
I'm making a light 3.8% ish ale (7 lbs maris otter, 1/2 lb biscuit, 1/2 lb crystal 40) my own recipe, and I thought last time it was not hoppy enough (I used 1 oz of goldings for 60 minutes and 1 oz of fuggles for 20 minutes).

This time I am doing it again with the same fuggles and goldings, but I got this hop called "Citra" which seems to be a strong acid type hop.

Can anyone suggest a good hop schedule for

1 oz goldings
1 oz fuggle
1 oz citra

thanks!

Also, why is it that wort tastes really hoppy when you first boil it, then by the time it finishes fermenting, it seems to be less hoppy?

Also, why is it that wort tastes really hoppy when you first boil it, then by the time it finishes fermenting, it seems to be less hoppy?

Because some aroma gets pushed out with the CO2 during fermentation.

If you are looking for more hop flavor as opposed to more bitter then concentrate on late additions. Brew the same brew and add those Citra Hops .5 oz at 10 minutes and .5 oz at 5 minutes and you'll get more flavor and aroma. This is due to you not boiling them off by adding them late.

Interesting, so boiling longer actually mellows out the hop flavor, instead of getting more hop flavor in there?

So then it'd be: 60 minutes of goldings, 20 minutes of fuggle, then 10/5 minutes of citra at the end?

The more you boil the more alpha acids you extract, so the more bitter taste you get.
The flavors and aromas from the hops would all evaporate if boilled for too long, so if you want that too, you also need to make late additions to the boil, like 5 to 10min from flame out.

Latest posts

Back