American Wheat Beer Mosaic Honey Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tested it this morning. At about 1.010 so I think it's basically done. Has the potential to be a very nice beer. We're leaving town on Wednesday morning for a few days so I'll probably dry hop Tues night/first thing Wed and keg when we get back Sat/Sun.

So for two days it has been at 1.007 and today I threw 1oz of mosaic in the bucket and upped the temperature to 22.5 deg to make sure it finishes. I want to bottle on Sunday so hopefully 3 days is long enough frog dry hopping. In two weeks or so I'll report back. :mug:

I can't say I've ever "frog dry hopped" before, let me know how it turns out! :fro:

joking... hah! but totally let us know how it turns out... haven't had this drop that low before, hopefully the honey malt and wheat make up for that :) :mug:

I'm brewing this on the 4th of July. (Except I'm using Mosaic and Citra at a 2:1 ratio. May be a mistake, but gotta try it.)

How many volumes to carb? Say, 2.4?

By my calcs, the grain bill gives the target OG (1.052) if you get ~80% efficiency for 5.0 gal post boil. If you like to use a post-boil volume of 5.5 or 6.0 gal to end up with 5.0 gal packaged -- or if your efficiency is lower -- then you should add some grain. I saw some posters got a low OG, so that's why I mention it. I make a non-standard batch size (~7 gal), so I adjust every recipe anyway.

Citra and mosaic... never a bad combo! :) and 2.4 sounds great! i usually just let it sit on 10-12 PSI and start drinking it a week or so later.

Tested it this morning. At about 1.010 so I think it's basically done. Has the potential to be a very nice beer. We're leaving town on Wednesday morning for a few days so I'll probably dry hop Tues night/first thing Wed and keg when we get back Sat/Sun.

Sounds like a plan! I havne't had this beer in months now... wanna come over and split a few? haha, joking! :mug:

I can't say I've ever "frog dry hopped" before, let me know how it turns out! :fro:

joking... hah! but totally let us know how it turns out... haven't had this drop that low before, hopefully the honey malt and wheat make up for that :) :mug:

:D

It actually finished at 1.006 but I brewed a very tasty White IPA that finished that low before so I'm not too worried about it. Two days in the bottle now but I aimed for 2.8 volumes so that should also help give it more body. :tank:

At 21oC in the basement so it should be carbed enough by the weekend. Even if it will probably take another week to be fully finished. :rockin:

I'm fermenting now as well but the malts came from an abandoned wheat ale kit from my LHBS. I did a hop stand at 165f and will either DH with an ounce of Mosaic, Galaxy or El Dorado. Any recommendations?

:D

It actually finished at 1.006 but I brewed a very tasty White IPA that finished that low before so I'm not too worried about it. Two days in the bottle now but I aimed for 2.8 volumes so that should also help give it more body. :tank:

At 21oC in the basement so it should be carbed enough by the weekend. Even if it will probably take another week to be fully finished. :rockin:

So exactly 3 weeks in the bottle now.
Turned out very nice but just a little bit thin which is not a big surprise at 1.006.
Giving the bottle a good shake and getting the sediment in suspension improves the beer 100% - adds some body and more hop flavour.
Very drinkable beer :drunk:
Will be serving it at a party in 4 weeks and I'm sure this will be a crowd pleaser. :mug:

Brewed another White IPA this weekend for the people who want something with a bit more bite, so I'll have all bases covered :ban:

I'm fermenting now as well but the malts came from an abandoned wheat ale kit from my LHBS. I did a hop stand at 165f and will either DH with an ounce of Mosaic, Galaxy or El Dorado. Any recommendations?

i'd go with mosaic, just to keep it all the same, but it'd be fun to toss el dorado in there as well! i haven't had that hop in forever, but i remember it being very juicy fruit.

So exactly 3 weeks in the bottle now.
Turned out very nice but just a little bit thin which is not a big surprise at 1.006.
Giving the bottle a good shake and getting the sediment in suspension improves the beer 100% - adds some body and more hop flavour.
Very drinkable beer :drunk:
Will be serving it at a party in 4 weeks and I'm sure this will be a crowd pleaser. :mug:

Brewed another White IPA this weekend for the people who want something with a bit more bite, so I'll have all bases covered :ban:

:mug::mug::mug:

Glad you enjoyed it!

I had a great El Dorado beer at Noble ale works in Anaheim, so I decided to try them for myself, and they didn't hit the same flavors I had remembered, not sure why... I was disappointed.

So I didn't forget about my batch, but life gets in the way. Finally got to it today. Sample tasted solid so I kegged it and popped it in the fridge. I'm still excited about it.

I made a beer "inspired" by this one, and I am ready to report results. First, it is great beer -- thank you Rivenin. I used 2 parts Mosaic to one part Citra, and I like this better than Mosaic alone. The blend seems to tame that initial flavor shock you get from an all-Mosaic beer.

I loaded up the hops, and I believe that was not beneficial. I get very little from the honey malt. Mine tastes more like an APA/IPA. Those are my favorite beers, but I think this would have been better if I stayed closer to the recipe. I may try again in a version that allows the honey malt to come through better.

Last, this is a great beer -- thank you again Rivenin.

Thanks to the OP for this recipe - Just tapped into my keg after carbing for a week and it's tasting great! My gravity ended up a bit higher than the target, so I added a 1/4 ounce more of Mosaic to the dry-hop to even things out. Mosaic flavor comes through well and tastes great but isn't overpowering enough to keep the grain bill from shining through. This will be an awesome thirst quencher for the rest of the summer for sure!

Sounds very tasty.

I have 5 lbs of fresh picked blueberries that I am trying to figure out what to do with. How do you think racking this into the secondary on top of them for a week or two would be?

I'd do it with a hef or blonde or something, I think the hops and citrus would overpower the light blueberry flavor.

Hey guys!

sorry i've been absent... started a new job and had a new kid... so my life is a bit, how do you say... has no free time LOL.

but yeah, i'd keep the blueberries off to the side on this one. The blueberry flavor is so light compared to the flavors in this beer.

Glad you guys enjoy the beer! Once i get back into brewing, this recipe is up along with a stout... but alas, it's probably going to be a few months off due to the new kiddo :)

I have 1 bottle of my first attempt left. Nice beer. I got some El Dorado hops for another beer last week and was thinking I might brew this beer again with them instead of mosaic. Probably need to add something else in there like columbus to give it a bit more complexity. :confused:

So, I went ahead and brewed this with Columbus and El dorado on the weekend.

Again I can't get Honey Malt here so I subbed it with Abbey malt and also added a 1/2 pound of Munich malt to add a bit more backbone.
I ended up with an OG of 1.055 and calculated IBUs of 35.
After 10 days or so I will dry hop with 1oz of El Dorado for about a week.

If it turns out good I might add it as a separate recipe as it is significantly different than the OP.

The bad news is that my first attempt is all gone now :(
I gave a woman in work the last bottle today. She had about 5 bottles of it at my garden party in August and has been asking for more.

The good news is that it was an exchange as she is going back to her home town in Poland she's going to bring me back a few bottles of Pinta Imperator Bałtycki

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/pinta-imperator-ba322tycki/242567/

:rockin::rockin::rockin::tank::tank::ban::ban: :drunk:

Anyway I'll report back in about a month about both beers :p

Just thought I'd chime in and say that I brewed this (original recipe in post 1) on 8/7 and I am enjoying one right now. Great beer and will most certainly brew again :tank:

Anyone happen to try harvested Oberon Yeast with this? I found some saved dregs in the back of my yeast shelf and may give it a go.

i certainly can if you want to send me some Bells! :)

My wife bought me some assorted hops for my birthday last month, and alas, there was 4oz of mosaic in there, so I at least have the hops for this recipe and 10 gallons.... might just need to make a batch of this as i do need a quick turn around beer! and an easy drinking one as well

Thanks for the recipe. I brewed a Wheat pale ale earlier this year that went fast. And I've never had a bad beer with mosaic hops. So I'm putting this one on the To-Brew list.

Can anyone suggest if using uk admiral for the fwh and fifteen min hops and mosaic for the flameout and dry hop will be a good combination?

Can anyone suggest if using uk admiral for the fwh and fifteen min hops and mosaic for the flameout and dry hop will be a good combination?

While I've never used Admiral hops, the first hop in this beer being so small and not much bitterness. I'd say go for it, any clean buttering hop should go well in this. Nugget, ctz, target, etc.

Note : just make sure the IBUs are kept in check. If memory serves, mosaic is around the 8-10 range, Admiral is in the 14-16 range, so you would need a bit less than the .25oz this recipe calls for.

coincidentally the mosaic i have is almost the same AA as the admiral. thanks for the input

oh damn! i just checked mine and it was 12.8%. good times!

This recipe looks great. I wanted to scale it down to 2.5 gallons in Beersmith. Do you have the OG and FG for this? Thanks!

Just opened my fermenter for bottling day after 3 days of dry hop. Holy crap that's fruity! You'd swear I squeezed a bunch I fresh mango and clementines in there by the smell of it. Looking forward to the hydro sample

Glad you're enjoying it in the nose holes! haha. Keep us posted!

Trying your recipe today. I'm adding to it slightly. Had some left over Centennial in the freezer so I'm adding .2oz to the FWH with the Mosaic and going to dry hop with 1oz Mosaic for 1 week.

Can't wait to try it.

Thanks for sharing your recipe.

That is tasty and very easy to drink. I just opened a small bottle today to go with my lunch.

hah, that is badass!
Can you do me a favor if possible? can you post the img file of that label? i'd love to put it on the next batch i make!

Back