First time Cider - Stuck Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironhorse

Reaction score
Made fresh cider for the first time last weekend with an apple press. Lot's of fun and lot's a mess. I pinched the Wine Yeast last Sun and the airlock has still been feriously bubbling almost a week later. I'm used to my home brew beer of rapid bubbling 2-3 days then slows down quite a bit.
OG 1.08
FG (today) 0.099
I've never experienced "stuck fermentation" and wasn't sure.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Hi Ironhorse: Your FG tells me it's done. It's possible the SG will drop another 0.002, but I think at this point, it's about as done as it's going to get. Hope it turns out tasty. Regards, GF.

0.099?? if you mean 0.990 then fermentation is complete. anything below 1.000 is pretty much done. 0.099 is not a good number.

Sounds like a typo and you now are done with fermentation. let it sit another 3 weeks then consider either racking for another 4 weeks or bottling.

Lapaglia: Nice catch on the numbers; I looked at it & my brain must've sorta "auto-corrected" or some damned thing. I must be sleep deprived or something. Regards, GF.

Ironhorse. If you really got to 0.990 than that is REALLY done. Is there any chance it was between 0.999 and 0.990 maybe around 0.996? It doesn't really matter. With that reading you are done fermenting and need to let it sit and clear. You are talking 12.23 %ABV. Thats wine levels and you might want to rack it at 4 weeks then let it sit in the secondary for 3-4 months in the bottle. Then at the end of this time bottle it and let it age for another 4-6 months. If you wait you could end up with a really nice cider. The trick is patience.

As an aside, I would really like to know which yeast you used.

Latest posts

Back