Buying Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a noob. Just made my first batch (an IPA from BB kit). I let it sit in primary for three week and just bottled it Sunday. I plan on drinking it (hopefully) sometime after the new year.

I'm going to make my next batch, but I'm a little weary of buying another BB kit from my LHBS because I have a feeling that they don't move many kits there and it could have possibly been on the shelf for a while. Is that concern viable?

Also, what kits are the best to buy online? Northern Brewer? Austin? And, why one and not the other? Does either company make their kits by the order and ship them quickly to preserve quality? Other recommendations?

BTW, when my brother-in-law and I opened up the primary to see the results of our first beer before we bottled it we both broke into sobs of admiration and excitement. The beer smelled, looked, and tasted exactly as it should at that point, and dare I say, better than I could have ever expected. Any WNYer's who want to help me sample my first beer are welcome to the bottle breaking ceremony in early January

I have had great success with both Northern Brewer and Midwest Supply when it comes to kits. I've only brewed one BB (2008 HopNog), but I knew it was fresh since it's a limited release and it turned out fantastically.

Just make sure the box is the new packaging. See ldcarlson.com My local still has some of the older brown boxes. I think you can also check the date on the yeast to see how current.

It is a viable concern. I use kits from NorthernBrewer and they have all been great. Never had a problem (other than when I screw up ;). As it is your first brew, I do not blame you for looking in, just be careful how often you do it. The more you look = the greater chance of infections.

I've used kits from austinhomebrew.com, and northernbrewer.com with very good results. I lean towards AHS because they seem to have a bigger selection- everything from clone kits to general beer styles.

They both have very fresh ingredients, crushing the grains when you order and not using canned extract but the bulk fresh extract. I think you'd be pleased with them.

I've heard good things about the kits at Brewmaster's Warehouse and I've ordered other things from them but not kits, and I think that'd be another good one to try.

All three of those have flat rate shipping, so I'd order two kits at a time. They'll be fine for a couple of weeks, and you can save on shipping.

If it helps any, I bought a BB kit last year for a CA Common and forgot about it. When I finally got around to brewing the wort and cooling it, I realized that the yeast packet expired in May! Having no other options, I pitched it and it turned out fine. My first batch!

I would definitely go for fresh kits, or LHBS that has higher turnover if possible or buy from reputable online places.

But, even if you are forced to use a kit toward the end of the expiration date (or, beyond--as I was) things sometimes just work out!

I've used kits from Austin with great success. Likewise, I've done a fair share of BB kits and never had a bad batch.

I've ordered a few kits from Midwest and while they turned out tasting great, I have some concerns. I ordered an ESB that was loaded with Cascade. That's an odd hop for an ESB, isn't it? I also ordered the Rich German Bock, which actually seemed to be the ingredients for an O-fest. Both beers were great, just not quite as expected.

It is a viable concern. I use kits from NorthernBrewer and they have all been great. Never had a problem (other than when I screw up ;). As it is your first brew, I do not blame you for looking in, just be careful how often you do it. The more you look = the greater chance of infections.

Never fear, I only looked in long enough to set my siphon hose so I could get my brew over to my bottling bucket.:mug:

I have bought from Midwest, NorthernBrewer, and Austin.
All three are great, but Austin has the best selection!

I also like Austin. As previously mentioned, fresh extract, crush the grains when ordered and very helpful if you need the help.

Austin and NB are the best in my opinion - tried both stores, both for kits and supplies/equipment. Once you get a little more experience and start making your own recipes, Brewmasters Warehouse would complete the holy trifecta of online homebrew goodness.

Midwest does have some of the best prices on Equipment.
Unless you need kegging supplies, then its KegConnection!

I've used Midwest's kits since I started brewing, and one from AHS. No trouble with any of these. A big supplier = more turnover = fresher ingredients.

Back