Fermentor Chamber in Old Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHawk

Reaction score
FYI

I have my old keezer that doesn't work anymore sitting in the garage unused. Using the Son of Fermentation methods, I'm planning on converting this into a fermentation chamber.

I haven't found any information on this after extensive searching so I'm posting for others to find when needed. If you have an old chest freezer broken and unused, this may be a great option. My personal reason is my 20 amp circuit is close to being maxed out in my garage with other appliances in use.

I did a test run last night only using the 1/2 insulation board I'm going to use with the lid setup. (old original freezer lid is removed and used on my new keezer)
I put a 1 gal frozen milk jug and one 2 liter bottle on the step and placed a 10" fan next to them blowing out over the compartment area. I put a glass of water with my digital thermometer on the floor of the freezer and just set the board on top of the freezer with a couple of light weight items to press it down for a decent seal.
Dinner and a movie, 2 hrs later I checked the temp of the water. 60' from 79' with mid 80's ambient in the garage. :ban:
The ice sources were about 75% thawed but was cooling down the whole area with no other controls or insulation and a gap where the electrical cord had to go out.

I'm building the system today and will report back on my results.

keezer-fermentor-66168.html

Freezer Fermentor.jpg

Actually, pretty easy. Just have to think far ahead of the finished product before cutting and gluing. Duct Tape for a smooth sliding in and out.

Installed Fan and Thermostat.
Placed two 2 liter frozen bottles each in it's baffle compartment space and a glass of water with thermometer on the floor of the cooling compartment.
Then inserted the Lid Insulation to test.
Lowered water temp 89' to 81' in 20 minutes.

imag0149-66183.html

imag0164-66184.html

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

Very nice. Good use for a good insulated box that no longer works!

No Kidding!
I had a board on top and used it as a table for all my brewing gear while working in the brew house. I took the lid off just now and the temps wouldn't drop to turn the fan back on for 5-10 minutes.

Fan set at 70' - Inside temp 74' - Water 75'ish. Fan kick on at 73'. Reset the thermo to 65'. Will advise.

Fan set to 65' - Water dropped to 69'. Inside temp 67'. Fan off after 2 hours starting with ambient temps of high 80's.

Fan has a 3 degree variance.

Done.
Coated with urethane spray. Tight fit and snug.
Two frozen 2 liters in and testing an 80' ambient down to 67' timing.
Will add a probe thermometer for external monitoring.
All in I'll be under $50.

imag017-66186.html

imag0177q-66187.html

imag0178q-66188.html

IMAG017.jpg

IMAG0177q.jpg

IMAG0178q.jpg

80' to 69' 1 hour 30 minutes - 2 liter bottles 90% frozen. Fan was idle when checked. May have been 67'-68' long before.

Will brew an English Mild or ESB this weekend and give'r a spin around the block for real. :cool:

Temps holding nicely with relatively little ice use.

imag018-66195.html

IMAG018.jpg

Ambient Night/ Day 70'-85' - chamber a steady 66' replacing bottles at 12 hr with 50% frozen - could go much longer. Fan adjusted on at 68' off 64'.

Only replacing bottles once now, in the mornings. Consistent 66'F.
Very happy with the results.

I'm doing something similar this winter with an old refridgerator and an ST-1000 controller; I won't need the cold cycle - just a heaing source to bump the tempeature up to lagering fermentaton temps.

2 days now - 30% frozen. Could go 3 days.
:ban:

Wow, that is very impressive and makes that set up extremely manageable. You do not have to constantly worry about the temps and you could even go away for the weekend.

Back