Way, way, way over the top Sam Adams Utopia clone - #2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awwwwww... that's cute. Widdle Paul wants to bwing his date to the party. That's nice.

... and I wouldn't expect a whole lot of adulation tomorrow night. The holiday party is when everyone brings out all of their best stuff and bottles that have been stashed away for the whole year. You guys did a great job on your clone but there will be a ton of fantastic beer there. Something tells me it'll blend into the background very quickly along withe verything else. Besides... we're following right along with the fad and everyone is into sowahs now. Sipping that malt syrup will probably be a low-light for most guys.

Chis,
And I want to boost up the 6 row another 8-10 lbs for greater enzymatic action, increased husk filtration and just general all around good karma.
PTN
This recipe has an already bumped up 6-row by 5 pounds as compared to last year. I will add 3 more to make it a total of 8. I will also make it 5 lbs smoked

Latest recipe below. Looking for approval...

Utopias #2 Clone
23-A Specialty Beer
Author: PTN and Yeager1977
Date: 1/10/09

Size: 13.0 gal
Efficiency: 63.05%
Attenuation: 87.5%
Calories: 658.3 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.194 (1.026 - 1.120)
Terminal Gravity: 1.024 (0.995 - 1.035)
Color: 21.3 (1.0 - 50.0)
Alcohol: 23.4% (2.5% - 14.5%)
Bitterness: 60.0 (0.0 - 100.0)

Ingredients:
70.0 lb English 2-row Pale
23.0 lb 6-Row Brewers Malt
3 lb 2-Row Caramel Malt 60L
3 lb Toasted Pale Malt
1 lb Melanoidin Malt
4 lb Munich 10L Malt
5.0 lb German Smoked
4 lb Maple Syrup
4.0 oz Spalt Spalter (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
4.0 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
2 oz Hallertau (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
2 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
White Labs WLP099 Super High Gravity Ale (starter then 1050 brown ale cake...)

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 50.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:03:00 Mash in - Liquor: 34.06 gal; Strike: 159.59 °F; Target: 145.0 °F

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3

Ok but the entire recipe needs to be scaled up to a final amount of 15 gallons going into the fermenter so that we have some left over for topping up the casks.

Other than that I think we're looking pretty good.

Except you seem to have your mash temp set at 145. I'd prefer that between 148 and 150, especially given the fact that we'll be doing this in a garage, in New England, in January. As we saw last year, hitting and maintaining a consistent temp when it's 15 degrees out is a pure *****. We'll want to rig some thing up, blanket, etc, to help maintain temps.

PTN

Awwwwww... that's cute. Widdle Paul wants to bwing his date to the party. That's nice.

... and I wouldn't expect a whole lot of adulation tomorrow night. The holiday party is when everyone brings out all of their best stuff and bottles that have been stashed away for the whole year. You guys did a great job on your clone but there will be a ton of fantastic beer there. Something tells me it'll blend into the background very quickly along withe verything else. Besides... we're following right along with the fad and everyone is into sowahs now. Sipping that malt syrup will probably be a low-light for most guys.

I was planning on bringing a few bottles of Belgian I've haven't seen locally in a long time that I picked up when I was in TX. As far as dragging Chris along, you talk to him and listen to him whine about being a hausfrau. It's a charity invite, in the Christmas spirit and all.

PTN

Well I did that by upping the 6 row and the two row (the 2row was upped 10 pounds, plus we are not going to have stuck mashes with 3-4 mash tuns, AND we will get better efficiency this year because of the new setup...). Also 14 gallons is the target. We had 12.5 last time. This time we just won't drink a gallon. :)

I also bought myself a new fermenter since last year we broke the fermenter the utopias was in. We can use my old fermenter for the utopias this year and I will keep using the new one. :)

So I guess we could up the crystal but I am not to worried about it. Also the temp: I'm not worried about temps right now. I just want the grain bill (Maple syrup will probably be upped to 5 pounds but thats later..). I figure we will shoot for 150. Last year you wanted lower temps for some reason....

Ok latest rev... Upped most everything. Last year the smoked malt was only 1 pound. I say 4 lbs this year

Utopias #2 Clone
23-A Specialty Beer

Size: 13.0 gal
Efficiency: 63.05%
Calories: 666.56 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.197 (1.026 - 1.120)
Terminal Gravity: 1.025 (0.995 - 1.035)
Color: 22.19 (1.0 - 50.0)
Alcohol: 23.7% (2.5% - 14.5%)
Bitterness: 63.4 (0.0 - 100.0)

Ingredients:
3.5 lb 2-Row Caramel Malt 60L
3.5 lb Toasted Pale Malt
2.0 lb Melanoidin Malt
4.5 lb Munich 10L Malt
4.0 lb German Smoked
4 lb Maple Syrup
3.0 oz Hallertau (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
3.0 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
4.0 ea White Labs WLP099 Super High Gravity Ale

I was planning on bringing a few bottles of Belgian I've haven't seen locally in a long time that I picked up when I was in TX. As far as dragging Chris along, you talk to him and listen to him whine about being a hausfrau. It's a charity invite, in the Christmas spirit and all.

PTN

Well, I think guys would certainly be grateful but I don't think you're gonna wow anyone at this particular event. Not when a large majority of us have hung around with a certain french club member who keeps cases (with a "s") of aged Westies just laying around in his basement along with cases upon cases upon cases of the stuff he collects when he travels through Belgium... on a regular basis.

But I'm sure the stuff you got in Texas is good too.

And that's nice of you to pass along charity invites to the holiday party of a club for which you've made one meeting and still haven't paid your dues for.

Actually... now that I kinda think about it... I think Yeager has more of an invite than YOU do Paul... so I think the charity invite is really the other way around.

The club always invites "friends of the club" and anyone at The Witch's Brew is certianly a "friend of the club" so I would think that if Yeager wanted to come, he would be more than welcome.

Then... like I was saying above... since you haven't paid your dues and have only made it to one meeting, I'm not really sure you're actually a "member"... soooooo... I think you should start asking Yeager VERY nicely to try to pull some strings and get you in.

We still need to boost up the smoked malt some more. Its 4% of the grain bill as it stands. Lets run it up to 8 lbs, thats 7%.

It was at around 1.5 % in the original recipie and it's undetectable. Go big or go home.

Stop hyperventilating, Chris. It will be ok. Trust me.

PTN

yea that guy he isnt scared!! i just sampled utopia for the first time about an hour ago and i love it. an amazing after dinner beer lets brew this thing

How about 6 pounds? I don't think we need smokey flavor in the beer. I don't know how well that will go with the maple...

Ok so here is the final recipe with mash temps. Paul can I get your approval for ordering?
Utopias #2 Clone
23-A Specialty Beer

Size: 14.0 gal
Efficiency: 67.0%
Calories: 667.23 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.197 (1.026 - 1.120)
Terminal Gravity: 1.025 (0.995 - 1.035)
Color: 21.58 (1.0 - 50.0)
Alcohol: 23.72% (2.5% - 14.5%)
Bitterness: 58.9 (0.0 - 100.0)

Ingredients:
3.5 lb 2-Row Caramel Malt 60L
3.5 lb Toasted Pale Malt
2.0 lb Melanoidin Malt
4.5 lb Munich 10L Malt
6.0 lb German Smoked
4 lb Maple Syrup
3.0 oz Hallertau (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
3.0 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
4.0 ea White Labs WLP099 Super High Gravity Ale

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 50.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:05:00 Mash in - Liquor: 33.7 gal; Strike: 166.02 °F; Target: 150 °F

Notes
2 15 Gallon Keggels As Mashtuns
2 Cooler mash tuns
2 14 Gal Keggel for hot water

1 13.5 gal keggel for bewing
2 15.5 gal keggel for brewing

1 16.5 gal fermenter

you guys are awsome, I hope this beer goes well for you. Keep up the spirit of home brewing. there nothing big brewery's do that we cant. sweet. That is a huge grain bill$$$$

Yeah, its gonna be a big chunk of change.... Just the bottles from last year's batch cost $120. If I can get PTN's buy in I will order this friday, and give our LHBS a few weeks to get everything in and crushed. Looks like Jan 16th is the day but we need to confirm that....

So that means sometime late next week I have to make the brown ale with the starter I have going....

You guys should have named this thread the health care debate thread or something with all the bickering over a few pounds of smoked malt. Just get to a-brewin' already! :p

Hey, who asked you? And WTF is a Pfluger anyways, and why did they name a town after it? Sounds like it's next door to Who-ville. Hey, do you ever see Horton around town?

PTN

Ok so the 16th is out as I forgot I will be drinking REAL English bitter and REAL ALE every night after work the 11th to the 19th, we need to find another date... Paul are you sure you can't do the 9th? I talked to SWMBO and that leaves the 23rd, and 30th

Ya, we have tix to the BC/BU hockey game that is being held in Fenway Park that day. That day's a no go for me. I'll have to wait till I get back to see what my work schedule is going to be. We just had a big shakeup in my unit, pretty much every nurse who hasn't worked there for 10 years or more got re-assigned to the floors and a bunch of the old warhorses who have worked these nice cushy jobs for the past decade are now going to be rotating to nights. It doesn't affect me any but it will be quite interesting to see what the next schedule is going to look like.

PTN

PTN

Ok but isn't that game at the garden since I have never heard of an ice hockey game switching to field hockey....

Ya, we have tix to the BC/BU hockey game that is being held in Fenway Park that day. That day's a no go for me. I'll have to wait till I get back to see what my work schedule is going to be. We just had a big shakeup in my unit, pretty much every nurse who hasn't worked there for 10 years or more got re-assigned to the floors and a bunch of the old warhorses who have worked these nice cushy jobs for the past decade are now going to be rotating to nights. It doesn't affect me any but it will be quite interesting to see what the next schedule is going to look like.

PTN

PTN

okay ptn that just makes me hate you!

and yeager=clueless

Order Placed with The Witches Brew. :) The grain bill made some folks at the shop drop their jaws. :) Also added 4lbs rice hulls this time

Ok so we have two whiskey barrels (5 gallons each) My plan is to ferment in primary for 2 months (which includes the addition of maple syrup twice) the secondary for 3-4 months. How long should it sit in the barrels? Not that they will be nicely cleaned and rinsed. One is going to have about 4 gallons of a mix whiskey and whiskey flavored vodka starting tomorrow and the other is going to have a robust porter secondaried in it till we are ready for the transfer. I plan a minimum of 5 months... Is that enough? ALso if we "rinse" the barrels after each use, do you think we can get a second year out of them?

you guys are my heroes...I can't believe you're doing a batch with over a hundred pounds of grain...

Well I have some whiskey in there now...I will have about 2 gallons worth in there to keep it sterile. :) Plus I ordered my own barrel with tap and everything (to do "real ale") so I can transfer it into there if needed.

Wow that was hurtful...
Seriously though, I am going to do an English Bitter and cask condition it, just to see what I get....

Back