Rogue Brutal IPA kit possible issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nos33

Reaction score
So waaaaaaaaay back in Dec. of last year I purchased this kit from my LHBS and unfortunately was not able to brew it until recently. I know waiting 9 months is bad. But everything was sealed and stored properly (wyeast packet stored in fridge, hops in vacuum packs in freezer and grains and extract in cool dry place.)

The recipe called for an OG of 1.06 ish but when i checked it after cooling and before pitching it was at 1.04. Could this be caused because i took so long to brew the kit? or is that just normal.

The yeast packet swelled just a little but it did swell and i heard bubbling on the inside of the packet so I am sure that will be okay. It has been 3 days since i pitched and it is fermenting slowly but at least it is bubbling happily.

So am i going to end up with a great beer or just a mediocre beer because of the time i waited to brew?

No way to know until its done. Did you use top off water or was this a full boil?

I did a full boil but added a half a gallon at the end. but a half gallon would not cause the .02 gravity that i am missing. I guess time will tell

Was it an extract kit, partial or all-grain? If it was extract and your reading was that off then you either misread your hydrometer (or it is not calibrated correctly) or you didn't mix your top off water well enough with your wort and the sample you took was diluted.

Back