My Rolling Pump toolbox

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucfanmike

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Since I dont yet have a brewstand I was looking for options for a pump mounting. Decided to go with a toolbox build. Since I brew outside I thought it would also be nice to have some additional space for hoses and other things. I decided on a stanley rolling toolbox. It was $20 at walmart. I didnt take pictures along the way put will try to explain if others wanna copy parts of my build. I went with the center inlet march pump which also came with a cord and plug.
I used some scrap wood to mount the pump to so that it would end up centered on the outside of the box. I removed the head and then the magnet off the shaft. I drilled a 1.5 inch hole for the motor shaft to come through. From there I put the screws back in motor w/o the pump head on. I put some toothpaste on the screw heads and slid the motor back into place to see where to drill the four holes to mount the head. After that it was attaching the head back to the motor, i did get 1/4" longer ss screws to account for the toolbox. Once the head was attached I used wood screws through the back of the toolbox into the wood support blocks the pump is mounted to. On the other side I went with a gangbox, 1 switch and outlets. Power is supplied by a piece of 12/3 outdoor type power cord. The switch powers the outlets. Since my pump came with a cord I just plug the pump into the outlet and power up the box with a extension cord. Turning on the switch powers the pump.

Click any thumbnail for a larger picture

Not trying to steal your thunder, but here is the one I did.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/brewers-rolling-tool-box-march-pump-mount-114977/

The outlet I did is GFCI.

It's interesting to compare these two as you did a bottom mount and I did a top.

If I could change anything about mine, it would be getting a different head like you have.
3456634446_776bcdda2f.jpg

Yours was inspiration for mine. I chose the lower section since I don't have a stand yet my keggles sit fairly low on individual turkey burners. So i did want to make sure the pump was lower than them My outside outlet I plug into is already gfci, so I didnt add another on the box. I hope I'm right that I don't need a 2nd one inline.

If I could have mounted it lower, I would have. The limitation being the box itself, which is why I found yours interesting. Occasionally, I have to dip the toolbox to assist the prime.

I like having the GFCI because I brew at other people's homes and brewouts and I never know what I am going to get with an outlet.

i have the same pump outlet as the OP, why is this design better than the one ollllo has?

i have the same pump outlet as the OP, why is this design better than the one ollllo has?

i dont have practical experience with either pump yet, but I have read that the center inlet pump primes a bit easier and it is rated on the March site as having a little higher flow rate.

Dang this is a great idea! Room to store all the cabling and such below, wish I'd seen these before I built my non-rolling toolbox :) Maybe next build I'll upgrade!

Nice work!

Latest posts

Back