a little stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheschire

Reaction score
O.G. - 1.060, F.G. - 1.022 after 2 weeks. Should be down to about 1.015
It would have had 6.5% but instead it has 5.4%. When I bottle carb, will the fermentation possibly finish off with the boost of sugar and cause a bomb? Or will a stuck fermentation stay stuck?

What are you basing the "should be FG" on? Does the attenuation you have achieved match what is expected from the yeast strain you used? Has the FG been constant over the 3-4 days? If so, the fermentation just may be over, not stuck. Hard to tell with the amount of information you have provided.

I used danstar ale yeast, took gravity readings at 70F, I used beer calculu and the final gravity "should be" 1.015. I pitched the yeast 2 weeks ago its been at 1.022 for 1 week. So what Im asking is; Will all the movement from bottling cause the yeast to start back up again and finish what it left behind plus the carbonating sugar and cause a bomb, or did I just sweeten my beer with priming sugar?

Did you already bottle? If so, it is really a moot point to argue. Just leave them in a box in the basement for a couple weeks and if nothing is the matter, then you are fine.

Now, the constant gravity readings indicate that the fermentation is finished or stuck. When you say Danstar, was it the Nottingham or Windsor yeast? I did a quick check online, and while they don't give % attenuations for these yeasts, the manufacturer does say that Nottingham will give full attenuation (lower FG) and Windsor will give a moderate attenuation (slightly higher FG). So, if you used the Windsor ale yeast, there is a very high probability that the fermentation is complete and all is fine.

What was the recipe? If the bulk was LME it would not surprise me at all with your F.G.

Back