I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, the one I'm talking about used a couple tablespoons of oil in the base. And it had a wire that circled the base (think hands on a clock) to stir the kernels as they heated.

Worms! Hard to believe that myth still lives.

Ah, that's a Whirley-Pop. That's how I make popcorn now! BTW, if anyone gets one of these, you never need to clean it. Leave the old oil in there, I'm here to tell you that after several years it will still work great and you won't get worms.

images

I just can't bring myself to bite a raw onion!

I had a job as a produce clerk and the produced mgr told me that you could eat a Walla Walla or Vidalia like an apple. It can be done, and they are certainly sweeter than your average spanish onion, but you'll still breathe and sweat and piss onion juice for a day.

Anyone who grew up in a poor dutch family probably got stuck eating liverwurst and onion sandwiches (or similar organ meat, since there's no end to the things you can make with various organs and a meat grinder - thanks grandma).

Why does this thread keep drawing me in. I'm supposed to be working now.

I had a job as a produce clerk and the produced mgr told me that you could eat a Walla Walla or Vidalia like an apple. It can be done, and they are certainly sweeter than your average spanish onion, but you'll still breathe and sweat and piss onion juice for a day.

Anyone who grew up in a poor dutch family probably got stuck eating liverwurst and onion sandwiches (or similar organ meat, since there's no end to the things you can make with various organs and a meat grinder - thanks grandma).

That's my mom. She grew up on a produce farm in Germany, and when they worked in the fields they picked and ate their lunch fresh. Regardless of what kind of produse it was, they ate it raw and like it.

She often eats liverwurst and onion sandwiches, and just this last Monday she tried to make me eat a limburger and butter sandwich for breakfast. I love her, but I just couldn't do it. I'm not the breakfast type, and the idea of that sandwich was turning my stomach at the time. I promised her I would eat one this Easter Sunday.

passedpawn said:
Hot air popper, right? I wonder what happened to those. They seem like the ideal popper.
Yes sir. I guess with the advent of microwave popcorn it drew a line between popcorn modernists and traditionalists, and the hot air popper got caught in the middle. I now use a Whirleypop, and buy my popcorn at the store. I was thinking about doing a small crop this year though.
emjay said:
They're not shucking corn ;)
I was thinking that, that the shucks are the husks. Ok, you can't bring a problem to the table without a solution. What is this called?

Thanks a lot, now I'm going to have nightmares...

It does sound quite nasty..

Yeah, I'm pretty scared about it! Although, my palate has changed since I was young. I tend to like a lot of things I hated at one time. Like liver. I hated that stuff as a kid, and now I love it. Fried up crispy with some sauteed onions, brown gravy, and country fried tatters. mmm hmmm!

I love cheese, so I might just like it. She and another German lady I know both swear that it tastes way better than it smells.

I hope I can still manage to eat Easter dinner and all the goodies after that!

I have a chicken in my pocket.

My daughter wanted chickens so bad. She's drawn all sorts of diagrams of coops since she was young. She has a whole OCD folder of information on chickens, care and feeding and incubating, etc. I have a big side yard where I could have them, but I never built the coop/run.

Now she's 18, and I don't think she cares so much anymore. Yet my guilt for not building it is still there. Ouch.

passedpawn said:
My daughter wanted chickens so bad. She's drawn all sorts of diagrams of coops since she was young. She has a whole OCD folder of information on chickens, care and feeding and incubating, etc. I have a big side yard where I could have them, but I never built the coop/run.

Now she's 18, and I don't think she cares so much anymore. Yet my guilt for not building it is still there. Ouch.

Do you make cheese, PP? ;)

I could make a huge list of things I wish I would have done when my kids were younger. No worries, as parents we can't do it all. My daughter is also 18. She graduated high school early and attending an out of town "Gateway" college. Couldn't get into the university she wanted to attend, but this gateway college thing is supposed to get her in. She wants to be a veterinarian while she studies for her doctorate. :drunk:

passedpawn said:
No. I've thought about it a lot, but it seems that most of the successes at the homebrew level are mozzarella, and I don't need a ton of mozzarella. If I could make a good sharp cheddar, I'd get into it, but I don't think I've seen any success stories there.

That's where I would like to be. I haven't done a cheddar yet. Good cheddar takes as long a Parma. It's just that it's not good enough that engineers are home brewers. The thrill has worn off. We want to see engineer home brewers also making cheese and raising chickens.

That's where I would like to be. I haven't done a cheddar yet. Good cheddar takes as long a Parma. It's just that it's not good enough that engineers are home brewers. The thrill has worn off. We want to see engineer home brewers also making cheese and raising chickens.

Are there engineers here? :D We need more stamp collectors here. I really do enjoy my stamp collecting, but there really aren't many enthusiasts any more.

Are there engineers here? :D

I wonder if this is considered engineering, one of the patterns on my Xmas card making CD. Just rotating squares for the background, folded paper and a simple drawing I did.

Used to love stamp collecting, I don't know what happened to the hobby.

tree_silhouette.gif

tree_silhouette_sample.jpg

I wonder if this is considered engineering, one of the patterns on my Xmas card making CD. Just rotating squares for the background, folded paper and a simple drawing I did.

Used to love stamp collecting, I don't know what happened to the hobby.

That's cool. I think I saw you post that card elsewhere. The card and the pattern are mirrors of each other though. The pattern is neat, I looked at it a bit.

Easy wind and downy flake. Robert Frost, my favorite poet.

Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening
Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

The card and the pattern are mirrors of each other though.

Yes, pattern has to be done opposite the image, since printing of the pattern is done on the back(so it doesn't show). Made a huge mistake making patterns for a set of numbers, forgot I had to reverse them and they came out backwards. Was a bummer.

Looks a bit like my papillon

This is true, but dry sugar doesn't really exist in nature. There are actually a lot of foods that won't spoil, but nearly all of them are because we made them like that; honey is the only one that's all-natural, unrefined, and unprocessed. And that's because, if you want to get really technical, honey IS a refined and processed foodstuff - it's just that it happens to be done by bees instead of humans.
Neither does what you get out of most bottles of commercial honey. My dad worked as a bee keeper for a couple years. After the honey is spun extracted from the combs, you filter and cook it down. The combs you can harvest are restricted by how big the hive is, and how many boxes you have have that the queen can't get into. You use a metal grate that is large enough for the workers to pass through, but to small for the queen. That way you don't get larva in the honey.

How much you cook down varies depending on how much sugar is in what you get from the bees. The idea being to increase the sugar concentration to the point that the product cannot spoil. Totally raw, uncooked honey, sometimes gets moldy all down through it.

Oh man, I used to smoke. We were poor poor, so coming up with tobacco was a trick. Cigs were very cheap (I remember thinking that if they ever got to a buck I'd quit). Still, when you don't have any money cheap isn't good enough. We'd occasionally score a can of Bugler, maybe after mowing some lawns or shoveling or selling costume jewelry - stuff like that.

My brother Chris and I would pull stubs from the ashtrays at the local playhouse or mall. You need to find places where people are in a hurry to get a few puffs then kill it - they leave some good ones. We'd get tons of them - an inch or so of cig left before it was stamped into the litter in the ashtray. You'd squirrel the thing back and forth to get the remaining tobacco out and into a paper, then roll it up in a zigzag (we did have a rolling machine). Woot! Sometimes we'd just re-light the stubs outside the playhouse, but often (because it was so short) we'd scorch our eyelashes and eyebrows with the lighter. I hate that smell of burning hair.

I remember scooping snow in pots, bringing inside to melt, then pouring it into the toilet tank so it could flush. We didn't have running water sometimes. Neighbors did, but not us. We were poor poor. If it's brown, flush it down, if it's yellow, let it mellow. Hah! I still have foodstamps from back then (I'm a stamp collector, so I just saved some of the bills my mom gave me).

Growing up we had an outhouse( a 2-seater) when it seemed like everyone else had running water. Food was a luxury at times. Sometimes on our farm the food was plenty, other times us kids would have to go out foraging for food if we wanted to eat. It makes me mad sometimes when people say they don't like certain foods. Sure, some I like more than others, but pretty much, I'll eat damn near anything. I consider all picky eaters to be spoiled brats, no matter their age. They don't even know the meaning of just quit complaining and eat your dinner, could be the last meal for a while. They don't know what it's like to be hungry and there is no food. We lived out in the middle of nowhere and didn't have regular access to grocery stores, let alone food stamps. Fuel cost too much to get to town.

Hmm, I was 15 when I quit school and also headed to NY for work. I wanted to be a costume designer for movie sets but that didn't work out. Too young and no one took me seriously. Lied about my age and started bartending. Although by that age, there was always food on the table back at home. Hadn't always been that way though. I do know what it's like to not be able to sleep because of the hunger pangs.
I believe I'm younger then most of you, 28, but this is about how poor I was growing up.

No, the one I'm talking about used a couple tablespoons of oil in the base. And it had a wire that circled the base (think hands on a clock) to stir the kernels as they heated.

Worms! Hard to believe that myth still lives.
I found one of those at Goodwill. You might try some second hand places.

I did smite the offender. Smite him good I did.
smite.jpg

I have a chicken in my pocket.
I thought you were just happy to see us.
No. I've thought about it a lot, but it seems that most of the successes at the homebrew level are mozzarella, and I don't need a ton of mozzarella. If I could make a good sharp cheddar, I'd get into it, but I don't think I've seen any success stories there.
I waxed a couple pounds of colby after work tonight. It took a while, lots of waiting, but wasn't really hard to make.
I collect rocks!
I used to do that. Then sell the semi-precious ones to a couple of dealers I knew. That put a couple bucks in the pot at home. I couldn't do that anymore when we moved to Colorado though, I didn't know the stones or any reliable dealers.

Wait, I'm the one working the 12ish hour shifts and I'm the only one awake? I think I should go post in the idiot thread again then...

Hmm. 7 shots later and still awake. I've got to key down. I managed to get to sleep the last couple of days without releasing the stress, but it's to high tonight. I've got to drop some before I can sleep... Tomorrow is going to be ugly I think.

Well, yes. The 7 shots is the approximate equivalent alcohol content conversion though, not the actual volume of Everclear. I'm out of vodka, and I wanted a neutral mixer.

Hmm, I managed to take a screenshot... I wasn't trying to.

Screenshot from 2013-03-28 00:56:22.jpg

Hmm, I just moved from moderately to mildly drunk. I guess I'll try some meditation, I should have been asleep a couple hours ago.

While cleaning something the other day I had to use rubbing alcohol since I'm out of Everclear. Made me think of dukakis...unlike Everclear which makes me think of weird punch.

Are there engineers here? :D We need more stamp collectors here. I really do enjoy my stamp collecting, but there really aren't many enthusiasts any more.

I collected stamps and coins for a while when I was younger. Never really got serious about it though. I still have them somewhere. Been a long time since I've looked at them. The only 3 hobbies that ever really stuck with me are fishing, music, and of course........well ok, 2 hobbies and 1 addiction. :D

Wait, I'm the one working the 12ish hour shifts and I'm the only one awake? I think I should go post in the idiot thread again then...

I was asleep, now I'm not asleep. A little too early to just stay up, so will try drinking a beer, maybe get back to sleep.

I guess I am the boring one in my family since I just collect old tools. My wife on the other hand has collected all kinds of things including rocks. While on her farm in OZ one day she was out looking for rocks and found a opal. Turns out her farm had a ton of opals there.

When she was packing to move here she told me she was bringing a few on the plane and would pack the rest in the shipping container. She brought a handful of them ranging from 5 carats to 25 carats. She wants to sell them but we are having a hard time finding a buyer:confused: And then to make it worse she said she put buckets of them into the shipping container. Man what am I going to do with all of that?

She has found a megladon tooth looking for rocks and tons of fossils as well. And do not get me started on the stamp collection or rare coin collection.

Nope I think it is much easier to collect old tools :D

I guess I am the boring one in my family since I just collect old tools. My wife on the other hand has collected all kinds of things including rocks. While on her farm in OZ one day she was out looking for rocks and found a opal. Turns out her farm had a ton of opals there.

When she was packing to move here she told me she was bringing a few on the plane and would pack the rest in the shipping container. She brought a handful of them ranging from 5 carats to 25 carats. She wants to sell them but we are having a hard time finding a buyer:confused: And then to make it worse she said she put buckets of them into the shipping container. Man what am I going to do with all of that?

She has found a megladon tooth looking for rocks and tons of fossils as well. And do not get me started on the stamp collection or rare coin collection.

You're kidding right? Opals aren't cheap here in the states.

My boss told me to go home. I guess I didn't look to good today.

I have some expensive opal specimens as well. I have all kinds of minerals and semi-precious gems. I do a little lapidary work as a hobby, and sometimes I sell what I make. Mostly I just collect. A couple of my favorite pieces in the collection are my pieces of Coprolite, which are petrified dinosaur turds.

I also like collecting old tools, but I don't have a lot. Being a carpenter by trade I like planes and levels.

Back