Busted high pressure gauge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlarnold

Reaction score
Got my first two kegs today, was great to come home to. While I was getting everything out of the box I noticed that the high pressure gauge was somewhat crunched. I'm guessing that one of the kegs shifted on the Fed Ex trip and crushed it but I don't know. Should I message the HBS and see what they want to do or just be out $12 or so and go to a welding shop? I'm not really complaining since the dual kegging setup was a pretty good deal considering but I'm not sure what to do here.

Take a pic, email it to the supplier, and ask them what they will do to make things good. Don't just let it slide - do it for your fellow home brewers!

Cheers!

I've crunched my gauge a few times when my CO2 bottle has fallen over and landed on it. The housing has bent the face plate such that the needle gets' stuck.

If you remove the gauge from your setup, you can use a screwdriver to pry off the ring around the front of the gauge that holds the lens in place. Then, remove the two screws from the back and slide the housing towards the threads and off the gauge body. The face plate is just a round piece of sheet aluminum that can easily be flattened with your fingers. Make sure the needle moves freely and then replace the housing the same way you took it off.

Takes about 15 minutes and functions just fine. If you want them to replace the gauge out of principle, then I can understand that. It does suck to get expect something new and have it show up damaged. But if you just want to get brewing, it's an easy enough fix. Weigh your options: 15 min fixing a gauge, or wait a couple weeks while the vendor processes your return.

Sounds like they might not have packed it particularly well. The shop should take care of you. I'd give them a call (email's more likely to get overlooked), I'd be surprised if they don't get a new gauge out to you same-day.

Emailed them shortly after I posted here, got an email back Friday morning saying "sorry for the inconvenience we will have one out pretty soon." I'd like them to replace on principle and so if I happen to screw it up more if/when I fix it. So, all's good that ends good I suppose.

Back