Submerged CFC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlaureanti

Reaction score
I have an idea... would anyone like to shoot it down for me?

In the process of turning my 25' IC to a 25' CFC I kinda screwed up and lost 4' due to a kink... so... what if i mounted my CFC in a bucket filled with ice water... also i plan to put the 50' of hose prior to the CFC in a tub with ice like a prechiller.

anyway, thanks for the help

really a 20' cfc is gonna do a good job. putting the cfc in an ice bath won't accomplish much since the wort would be insulated from the ice by the water and whatever you used as an outer jacket. now the pre chill is a decent idea if your source water is above say 60*F. if you water is colder you shouldn't need anything. just make sure if you recirculate you cooled wort back into your pot( i do this till i hit about 140*F to cut down on the trub in fermenter) that you use the pre chill bath after you've hit the 140 mark, otherwise your just waasting ice on the boiling wort.

Back