Ohhhhh NO?!?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strungout

Reaction score
I am on my 3rd brew (an Imperial Stout) and I just went to check the hydro. When I was popping the lid off the fermenter some of the water/sanitizer splashed into my beer. ehhhhhhhhhh, is it going to be ok?? I looked for another similar problem but hadn't seen one, I am a total klutz. I am hoping it is not a big deal. Please someone tell me if I just ruined a $75 recipe. Thanks

Its ruined. Send it to me to dispose of properly.

It is very hard to ruin a beer. No matter what you used as a sanitizer (even bleach), its such a small % of the total beer volume its going to be fine. And if its mostly fermented its almost impossible to infect anyway.

I read in one of the homebrewer's books (Palmer's I think) to use vodka. It does the same job and if this ever happens, no worries at all.

I have started the practice of a shot for me to celebrate, a shot for my airlock. and one for my homeys :tank:

WHEW:)!! I have just been paranoid with the incredible amount of sanitation that is talked of in homebrewing. I was using a no rinse sanitizer, so it sounds like I (and my little baby Stout) am going to be fine. Thanks for all of the fedback. And is it normal to be more antsy than a kid at Christmas while waiting for your brew?

I read in one of the homebrewer's books (Palmer's I think) to use vodka. It does the same job and if this ever happens, no worries at all.

I have started the practice of a shot for me to celebrate, a shot for my airlock. and one for my homeys :tank:

Lol, 2 for you and 1 for the beer. Nice math!

I too use vodka. I read here somewhere that if some gets into the beer no biggie and the ABV goes up slightly :ban:

And is it normal to be more antsy than a kid at Christmas while waiting for your brew?

Yes it is.

This is why i switched to Vodka in my airlock. It is sterile and if some does get sucked back into the fermenter at worst it increases the ABV by a minuscule amount.

Craig

Never tried vodka, always used a bit of my sanitizer solution (clean). Either way, your beer will be fine -and I agree, its natural to be a little nervous anticipating the beer -shows you care (if you didn't, you wouldn't be concerned -and what would be the point? If you didn't care, you would go to your nearest local fine fueling establishment and be happy with a can of generic horse piss.)
Homebrewers are different. Beer -in all its variations, is its own reward.

vodka works great. i used it in my last batch and a little got into my brew. can't even taste it and it was the best brew i've made to date.

Back