How to use Gelatine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know the "best" way to clarify your beer is to just be patient. However, I have a batch I started 2 weeks ago that I'd like to be able to share with family on Canadian Thanksgiving (Oct. 8). I brewed it 10 days ago, racked to secondary 3 days ago, and the S.G. seems stable. I'd like to try using gelatine to clarify it a little for my guests at Thanksgiving. I have a kegging system and a dedicated beer fridge. The beer is currently in a glass carboy, elevated, at room temperature.

So, how do I use this stuff to clarify my beer? Can I add it now, wait 3-4 days (at room temperature), then rack it to a keg, chill, and force-carbonate? Or do I need to add the gelatin and chill at the same time? Or should the beer already be chilled before adding the gelatine? I'd prefer not to add the gelatine in my keg, as I don't want that gunk getting pulled up my dip tube.

Any advice?

The beer should first be cold. Prepare the gelatin by blooming in cold water for 5-10 minutes. That is sprinkle the gelatin on some cold water an let soak for ~10 minutes. Then heat in a microwave or double-boiler to Pasteurization temp of ~175F and add to cold beer. Let sit for 24-48 hours, package and enjoy.

I chill my keg in fridge overnight then add warm gelatin to. Once the gelatin has been added I hook up the co2. After four days or so I pour off a pint or two of junk from the bottom and then it's crystal clear beer to the end.

Do as BigEd said and you'll be fine. The only thing I would add is that for 5 gallons, I would use a quarter or maybe half a knox pouch and not the whole thing. Gelatin helps clear the beer, but it will also strip off some flavor and aroma.

Back