Bigger bottles drying out as it ages

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaynardX

Reaction score
I opened a 32oz bottle of my Belgian Porter today and noticed a difference in dryness compared to my 12 oz bottles. The big bottles were a lot dryer compared to the 12 oz. Other then being in bigger bottles, the only difference between the two is the time I left them to condition. I let the small bottles sit at 70 deg for 2.5 weeks then placed them in the fridge. The large bottles sat for about 4 weeks before I refrigerated them last night and opened today. I also have some 22 oz. bottles of the same beer that sat for 3 weeks and taste as good as the 12 oz. (Am I confusing anyone yet?). :cross:

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone noticed differences in the taste of their beer due to bottle size and/or length of time at room temp?

I opened a 32oz bottle of my Belgian Porter today and noticed a difference in dryness compared to my 12 oz bottles. The big bottles were a lot dryer compared to the 12 oz. Other then being in bigger bottles, the only difference between the two is the time I left them to condition. I let the small bottles sit at 70 deg for 2.5 weeks then placed them in the fridge. The large bottles sat for about 4 weeks before I refrigerated them last night and opened today. I also have some 22 oz. bottles of the same beer that sat for 3 weeks and taste as good as the 12 oz. (Am I confusing anyone yet?). :cross:

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone noticed differences in the taste of their beer due to bottle size and/or length of time at room temp?

Length of time at room temp will change your beer faster than anything else. Size of vessel shouldn't matter unless you add carb tabs or something. If you're batch bottling with the sugar added in, it should be fine.

Even at 4 weeks in the bottle, your beer is still a little green. It has just reached the phase where it starts to get good.

That said, bulk aging has its benefits, and 32oz has more "bulk" than 12oz. ;) I'd Let them sit 8 more weeks in the bottle. :D

So a 32oz bottle, conditioned with corn sugar, will finish in the same amount of time as a 12oz?

More or less, yes. Some people say that a 22 will take longer, and by that logic a 32 will take abit longer than that. But I don't even drink a bottle for at least 3 weeks... So I guess it would make a difference if you didn't give them enough time.

I guess thats the point I'm trying to get at. I have heard the same and that is the reason for me leaving the bigger bottles to condition longer. I know most ppl say leave it conditioning 3 weeks (for 12oz), but ive found 2-2.5 weeks to be enough. I thought I would leave the bigger bottles (22oz) at least 3 weeks, and maybe even 4 weeks (for the 32oz). I guess I need to test the dryness/condition time, but since I only do 5 gallon batches and limited amount of large bottles per batch, it might take awhile. Anyone else have any more info on this subject at all?

Even at 4 weeks in the bottle, your beer is still a little green. It has just reached the phase where it starts to get good.

That said, bulk aging has its benefits, and 32oz has more "bulk" than 12oz. ;) I'd Let them sit 8 more weeks in the bottle. :D

Just saw your post. You think 8 more weeks in the fridge? Or, should I leave it in the basement (around 60 deg)? My concern is more along the lines of the dryness that is effecting the overall beer.

Dryness? I assume that you mean the finish of the beer is more crisp like a lager?

I am a firm believer in letting your beer age until its ready. Granted I have only been doing this for 5 months but I have brewed over 50 gallons of beer in that time and bottled it all in 12's and 22's. I don't notice any difference between my beers when I crack open a 12 or a 22 but then again, I usually let them sit for at least 6 weeks at room temp before I even think about putting them in the fridge. I have some beers that have been in the closet for going on 4 months, not even in the 'fridge yet. I am sure they will be great next month when I chill them finally.

I honestly think that you are comparing notes on really young beer. Given enough time they will all taste the same from my limited experience. :) Just noticed this was a porter. My Vanilla Porter got drank way too young. Its gone already in fact and its not even been 12 weeks since it was bottled. I am sure it would have been in its prime in 2 more months.

I'm sure if I gave them time, they will all taste the same. I just find them more complex in the smaller bottles. The dryness or "crispness" seems to overwhelm the fruity esters that I'm enjoying in the "younger" beer bottles.

This same thing happened to my Triple. Opened my last bottle a couple weeks ago (which aged at 63 deg for 3 months) and it was dry as hell. The only thing in common was they both finished fermenting at 1.020. Both were Partial mash Extracts. I wonder if they maybe finished fermenting in the bottle? I didn't have any gushers or explosions, though.

Latest posts

Back